Well, I was not expecting a giant rainstorm with ominously dark clouds to roll in RIGHT as I sat down to photograph this cucumber noodle salad, but thanks go out to the geniuses at Adobe for inventing Photoshop. Without it, these photos would look depressing, creepy, gloomy and sadly unappetizing. I think I did an OK job? I’ve been slaving away at practicing food photography, so I brought all my notes together, sucked it up and appropriately set my shutter speed, highered my ISO, dusted off the tripod and then fussed around in Photoshop for an hour trying to make this food look remotely as refreshing as it tasted. What do you think?
What a powerful plate of food – quinoa, as you should know, is a complete protein. Avocado is considered a superfood as well, sunflower seeds are packed with antioxidants, and the chickpeas and ginger keep you digestin’ right. Talk about texture… gritty miso ginger dressing, crunchy kale, and smooth avocado. Perfecto!
Wash this down with an iced green tea, and you’ll feel like a million skinny bucks!
For the record, it was raining sideways and into my apartment… but you’d never guess, would you? I’m quite the master of disguise. Tehe.
- For the miso-ginger carrot dressing (makes 3/4 cups):
- 1/2 large carrot
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tbsp water
- For the rest:
- 1 large cucumber, Blade A
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 avocado, insides cubed
- 1/8 cup red quinoa
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Place 1/4 cup of water with 1/8 cup of red quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiled, cook for about 10 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy when forked with a knife and water has fully absorbed into the quinoa.
- Combine the ginger, shallots and carrots into a food processor and pulse until carrots are minced finely. Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until creamy. Set aside.
- Place your cucumber noodles, quinoa, kale and 1/2 cup dressing into a bowl and toss to combine thoroughly.
- Put the noodles and kale into a bowl and top with sunflower seeds, avocado, and chickpeas. Enjoy!