It was hard to stay focused on Monday – not only was it absolutely gorgeous outside, I was still recovering from my bachelorette weekend in Miami.
I actually spiralized green bell peppers in preparation for a Cinco de Mayo dinner idea (happy May 5, by the way!) and I ended up turning them into this kumquat and cucumber noodle salad.
I’m glad it happened the way it did, because this is such a refreshing, green and healthy salad with a tangy, sweet and colorful kick from the sliced kumquats!
Kumquats can be eaten raw as is, peeled and raw or they can be candied or just cooked. Their skin is edible raw and it’s nice and sweet, while the inside is a citrusy bitter.
I never go for kumquats at the grocery store, but I spotted a container of organic ones recently, smelt them and had to bring them to the blog.
This salad is gorgeous, light and perfect for those early-summer days when you want something fresh but don’t want to spend time in the kitchen. All you do is spiralize, whisk together a dressing and slice some kumquats and avocado et voila!
If you’re worried about protein, add some fresh green peas to this dish or serve it with some chilled boiled shrimp!
The mint and ginger complements the sesame oil for a flavorful but crisp flavor and the avocado creates this soft, velvety feel to each bite (let’s be honest, who doesn’t love avocado with everything?)
You can expect a lot of these types of salads from me in the future – they’re so easy with the Inspiralizer!
Have you tried kumquats? What do you think?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
- For the salad:
- 1 seedless cucumber, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 green bell pepper, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- ½ cup kumquats, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- ½ ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- juice from 1 small lime
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Add all of the ingredients for the dressing into a bowl and whisk together.
- Pat the cucumber noodles dry thoroughly and add to a large mixing bowl along with the bell pepper noodles, mint and kumquats. Pour over the dressing and toss together.
- Divide the salad onto two plates and top with almonds and avocado.