Another pantry meal I made right before Labor Day weekend, to basically rid my fridge of everything that might spoil: zucchinis, kale, cheese and eggs.
The quinoa was the pantry staple.
See how easily that comes together? I think I always have kale, eggs and quinoa on hand. And OF COURSE I always have a drawer full of zucchinis. Can ya blame me?
This recipe was not only a productive of limited fridge inventory, but it was also inspired by this original recipe. The photo is just so terrible, that I wanted to recreate it, with some slightly different ingredients.
What I realized is that my recipes in the beginning weren’t very …. professional. I mean, this original recipe called for 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes. TWO! Teaspoons! Even as someone who likes it spicy, I think that would cause my entire body to go up in flames!
Needles to say, I doctored the recipe up a bit, made some ingredient changes and obviously rephotographed it – and voila, a new recipe that’s super easy to make and appropriate for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I like to put eggs on everything. Like here, here, here, and here.
Anddd on a completely separate note, you may have seen me post some clips from our wedding video on Instagram and that’s because we recently received it and I couldn’t stop watching it – like, I think I watched it 94 times, in entirety.
I cannot wait until we receive our full-length film, I’ll probably be watching it with a bottle of champagne and Lu, of course.
Check it out:
Thank you to Well Spun Weddings for capturing our day so gorgeously.
Music: Groovin’ Slowly by John Butler Trio
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers PointsPlus*: 11 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers PointsPlus® calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese + more to garnish (optional)
- 2 large whole eggs
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the kale, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes or until it starts to wilt, but not fully. Then, add in the zucchini noodles and cook for 1 minute and then add in the broth and let cook another 2-3 minutes or until zucchini noodles are cooked to your preference. Stir in the parmesan cheese, remove from heat and then divide into bowls. Top each bowl with quinoa.
- Meanwhile, add a medium skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Crack in the two eggs and let cook until egg whites set.
- When eggs and zucchini noodles are done, divide the noodle mixture into two bowls, top with ¼ cup each of quinoa and top each with a fried egg. Garnish with extra parmesan cheese (optional.)