I’ve been meaning to make a pizza recipe for a while now. When I first started Inspiralized, I made a zucchini noodle “pizza” pasta dish.
I cringe when I look at those photos – I clearly didn’t know how to plate a dish!
Since that original recipe, I also made pizza egg muffins (which are kid friendly and cute.)
During football season, it’s impossible to avoid spinach and artichoke dips, nachos, wings and similar foods. It’s fun to gather with friends and watch your favorite teams play.
I started off as a Jets fan (I used to work for a Jets player, actually!) and now I’m back to being a Giants fan, since Lu is a fan and so is my father. But, I like all NY teams, I’m not a crazy sports fan.
What is a bummer about these fall football parties is that there’s never anything healthy to eat! I remember one time (during my vegan years) when all I could eat at one of these gatherings was literally the carrots and celery on the side of buffalo wings.
Now I’m putting that to an end! If you’re going to have friends over, make this dish. The sweetness of the potatoes with the saltiness of the turkey pepperoni and the gooey deliciousness of the melted mozzarella cheese is divine.
If you don’t like turkey pepperoni, spring for the real stuff – it’s totally personal preference. Turkey pepperoni is lower in fat and calories, but is sightly higher in sodium. When you go to buy turkey pepperoni, watch that sodium count!
And of course, since you’re eating something healthy, you’ll have extra room for those football-shaped sugar cookies!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers PointsPlus*: 9 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers PointsPlus® calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- For the sweet potatoes:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, Blade C
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- For the casserole:
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce (I like Rao’s)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1.25 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 turkey pepperoni slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease a 10” cast-iron skillet or square casserole dish.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the sweet potato noodles and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until noodles begin to soften.
- Transfer the cooked noodles to the casserole dish and pour over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the dried oregano over the tomato sauce evenly and then layer over with the mozzarella cheese. Place the pepperoni slices on top in rows.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese melts through and is slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with basil and parmesan cheese.