You asked for it: simple meals.
I make this one a lot. I make it and keep it in the fridge to have on hand for snacks during the day or if I’m running around the city in meetings, I’ll pack a little in some Tupperware and have it in case I don’t have time for lunch during the day – at least it’s something.
I can get really hangry and it’s not pretty. So call this my “Hanger Prevention” meal.
My secret? I use pre-made vegan pesto. Seriously, this is how it goes down:
I heat up some oil in a skillet and toss in sliced asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper. While that asparagus cooks, I spiralize a zucchini and toss it with pesto. Once the asparagus is done cooking, I serve up a bowl and top with the asparagus.
There’s something magically delicious about the asparagus-pesto combo.
I’ve had this for dinner too, I top it with cannellini beans or chicken for an instant protein-packed, nutrient dense meal! Plus, asparagus are so in right now, it being spring and all.
But seriously, these are the kind of meals I LIVE for in the summer, which is right around the corner! EEK.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 10 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- For the pasta:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick asparagus spears, ends trimmed, sliced on an angle
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- ¼ cup jarred vegan pesto or homemade (see below)
- For the pesto:
- 3 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1.5 talespoons pine nuts
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- If making homemade pesto, place all of the ingredients for the pesto into a food processor and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust, if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the asparagus and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is bright green, fork tender, and is browned.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchinis and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the pesto and toss well. Set aside.
- When asparagus is done, toss it in the bowl with the pesto zucchini noodles and toss well to combine.
- Divide the pasta into bowls and serve.