Lentils can be a tough consistency for little ones to enjoy and manage (especially when they’re just starting off on solids!) and this an easy, tasty, and nutritious way to offer lentils to your whole family.
Easy Lentil Cakes
Lentil cakes are great because they’re versatile. You can literally make them into any kind of meal you want! I love them on a plate with a side veggie or salad, topped with some romesco sauce or a hummus. They can be enjoyed as a lentil burger patty (try with some melted cheese on top!) or broken up over a salad, like a bun-less burger salad!
Lentils are such a great source of nutrients (especially protein) and they are something all cooks should have in their pantry at all time! You can definitely try a flax egg here, although I haven’t tried it, it should work.
My kids love it with a dip to dip into – even Luca enjoys these!
And if you want a different flavor profile to these lentil cakes, try using a taco seasoning blend instead of the teaspoon of oregano. Or, use an Italian seasoning blend for a more “meatball” like flavor (and form the cakes into balls!) You can use some curry powder and turmeric instead of the oregano, for a curried lentil cake flavor! You get what I’m saying….
However you enjoy these, let me know by leaving a comment with a photo of your dish! We love to see what you’re whipping up for your families.
Easy Lentil Cakes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- grapeseed oil
- Place the lentils, water, and bay leaf in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and let cook until water evaporates and lentils are tender.
- While the lentils cook, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Once oil is shimmering, add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Once lentils, onions, and garlic are all cooked, transfer to a food processor with the rolled oats, eggs, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pulse until able to be formed into patties. Shape mixture into 10-12 patties.
- Heat about a tablespoon of the grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the lentil cakes and fit as many as you can in the pan without touching. Cook for 3-5 minutes, flip, and cook another 3-5 minutes or until firmed and browned. Repeat with more oil and lentil mixture until all cakes are formed and cooked.
- Serve with your favorite sauce or dressing or dip.