Red Velvet Cupcakes With Spiralized Beets
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 2 small beets ends and especially dirty bits removed, spiralized on Blade D
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cooled melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 room temperature eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for 4-5 hours, then drained well
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pull out any especially pretty spiralized beets and save for garnish at end. Give the rest of them a quick chop so none are long and stringy.
In a bowl, mix together almond flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking soda until homogenous. Add oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla, and mix well to combine. Stir in beets and mix until evenly distributed.
Pour into lined, full sized cupcake tin, filling each one a bit over ¾ of the way. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting, blend together all ingredients until very creamy—you want to let the blender or food processor go longer than you’d think, scraping down the sides, to let the nuts release their oils and get a truly creamy result. Spread frosting on cupcakes and garnish with a beet spiral. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.