Creamy Zucchini Soup with Bacon and Zucchini Noodles
- 2 strips bacon or omit and sub with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil instead
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 4 medium zucchinis chop 3 of them and leave the remaining one whole
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium (or use vegetable broth if making vegan)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup packed fresh basil
Place the bacon in a large pot and put the heat on medium. Let cook until crispy and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Immediately add the onion and cook until fragrant and onions are translucent. Stir in the garlic and let cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they start to soften. Add the broth, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and then once boiling, reduce to low heat and let simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until when you fork a zucchini cube, it mushes easily.
While zucchini cooks, spiralize the zucchini on Blade D and trim the noodles with clean kitchen shears. Set aside.
Pour the cooked soup mixture into a blender and add the basil and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust with more salt, if needed.
Divide the soup into bowls, top with zucchini noodles and crumble over the bacon. Season with extra pepper and serve.