Cheesy Taco Beef and Kale Bowls with Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped curly kale
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1/2 diced green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup broth beef or chicken
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
- optional to garnish: sliced scallions
Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the sweet potato noodles and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until wilted and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Set aside into a plate or bowl and cover to keep warm.
To the same skillet used to cook the sweet potato, add in the kale, season with salt and pepper, and let cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Set aside into a plate or bowl and cover to keep warm.
Add the remaining olive oil into the same skillet and add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat.
Push the veggies to the side of the skillet and add in the beef. Break up with a wooden spoon and crumble the beef. Season with cayenne, chili powder, paprika, oregano, onion powder, cumin, and season with salt. Cook for 7 minutes or until beef is cooked through. Once the beef is cooked through, combine with the vegetable mixture. Add the broth and let cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken. Stir in the cheese and remove from heat.
Divide the sweet potato noodles, kale, and beef into bowls. Top with avocado and garnish with scallions, if using.