Turkey Lasagna Soup with Zucchini Noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled, diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or less, if you don’t like it spicy
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade A, noodles trimmed
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- optional: shredded mozzarella cheese to garnish (about ½ cup)
Heat the oil in a large saucepot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables sweat, 5-7 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side and add in the turkey meat. Crumble and season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned and no longer pink on the inside, about 7 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and let simmer, about 15 to let the flavors develop.
Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchinis on Blade A and trim the noodles with kitchen shears.
Once the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, stir in the basil and zucchini noodles and let cook for 5 minutes or until zucchini noodles are al dente.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with mozzarella, if using. Serve warm.