If you watched my Snapchat last Tuesday, you saw my impatience with the slow cooker. I rarely ever use my slow cooker (I actually have two!), but when I do, Igo through a range of emotions.
First, I’m excited: Oh, I can’t wait to see how this turns out!
Then, I’m impatient. After 10 minutes, I see that the timer still has over THREE hours left and I just think: When will this be done?!
Finally, I forget about the slow cooker and I start doing whatever else I had to do and I go to check on the slow cooker and it starts to look more finished and the smells are delicious (I stick my nose real close and try to smell through the lid.) The excitement hits again and I think: Oh, this is going to be good!
The final 30 minutes are always the toughest, because I just want it to be done. Luckily iwt this recipe, in the final 15 minutes, you prepare the rest of the recipe (the spiralized part), so it distracts you while you wait for the finished product.
While this dish finishes in the slow cooker, you’ll be making your spiralized rice and cooking it, preparing it to be served with this unbelievably delicious coconut curry chicken.
When the slow cooker beeps, it might as well be the sounds of a slot machine alarming, “Winner! Winner!”
I was blown away by how flavorful this coconut curried chicken was. If you don’t like curry, I’d suggest alving the amount of curry powder but if you do like curry, you’re going to LOVE this recipe.
The turnip rice is the perfect flavor and texture to go along with this dish – it absorbs the juices from the curry and the bite of the green beans and onions combined with the soft chicken is wonderful.
This is another great dish that can be prepared ahead of time – the turnip rice can be frozen, as well as the slow cooker part.
What do you think? Would you like to see more slow cooker meals on the blog?
CYBER MONDAY WEEK
Enjoy 20% off the Inspiralizer® all week for Cyber Monday! No code required. Offer ends 11:59pm EST Friday, December 4th.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers PointsPlus*: 10 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers PointsPlus® calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Slow Cooker Curry Cashew-Coconut Chicken with Ginger-Cilantro Turnip Rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red chile pepper chopped
- 5 oz green beans trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion sliced
- 1 14- ounce can coconut milk full-fat
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- For the rice:
- 2 large turnips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove minced*
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro*
- *Prepare these ingredients once you press start on the slow cooker.
- Add chicken pieces, red peppers, green beans, garlic and onions to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, turmeric, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into slow cooker and stir to coat chicken and veggies. Cover and cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or on low 4.5-5 hours. Uncover, stir in the cashews, and cook another 15 minutes on low.
- Once you add in the cashews, prepare the rice. Peel and spiralize the turnips, using Blade D. Transfer the noodles to a food processor and pulse until rice-like and set aside. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your food processor.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the oil. Once oil heats, add in the garlic and ginger. Let cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add in the turnip rice and season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 7 minutes or until turnip reaches your preferred rice-like consistency. When done, turn off the heat, fold in the cilantro, stir and divide into four bowls. Top each bowl with chicken, onions, green beans and ladle over with the sauce.