Back in the winter, I went to a conference about pulses. Pulses, in case you don’t know already, are legume crops that are harvested just for their seeds (think: dried beans, lentils and peas.)
At this conference, we attended some cooking demos at the incredible Culinary Institute of America, where they made some amazing dishes using pulses.
One of the chefs showed us how to make something called aquafaba.
Aquafaba is incredible. You basically soak dried beans (for example, chickpeas) for hours or overnight and then whip it until it yields peaks. Literally, it looks like whipped eggs or a meringue. It left me stunned!
Obviously, I was excited to try this stuff out, and it didn’t disappoint: it has the exact consistency of mayonnaise, without using eggs! It’s a lower-cholesterol, vegan alternative to mayo and Sir Kensington’s has launched two different flavors: chipotle and original.
If you aren’t familiar with their brand, Sir Kensington’s makes all natural, vegan, non-GMO verified ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. Their Fabanaise is available at Whole Foods and many other natural retailers. For more info and coupons and all that jazz, click here.
So cool, right?! Since I’m not a huge fan of regular mayo, I decided to give the chipotle a try – and it’s great! I can’t wait to fold it into crabcakes and make light-but-creamy dressings with it. For today’s recipe, I made a simple spiralized cabbage slaw, using the chipotle mayo, avocado, lime, and mustard for an extra kick.
Seriously, this slaw seems like it would be packed with calories and fats, but it’s the exact opposite: it’s packed with healthy fats and other nutrients like protein! You can top it over burgers, serve it under fish, fold it into tacos, or just enjoy it as a side to any protein you’d like!
Note: This post was sponsored by Sir Kensington’s. All opinions are my own, always.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 4 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Spiralized Red Cabbage Slaw with Vegan Chipotle-Lime Dressing
- For the slaw:
- 1 small red cabbage Blade A (yields 6-8 heaping cups)
- For the slaw dressing:
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, pitted and insides mashed
- 3 tablespoons Chipotle Fabanaise by Sir Kensington’s
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to season
- Place all of the ingredients for the slaw dressing into a food processor and pulse until creamy. If you don’t mind a little chunkiness, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth as possible. Taste and adjust to your preferences.
- Toss the cabbage and dressing together in a large bowl until combined. Serve as preferred.