Last week’s weather was brutal – the Monday night storm (which I missed, because I was traveling) and the lingering frigid temperatures that lasted through the week.
All I craved was soup! I had lentil soup as a late afternoon “snack” on Thursday and Friday, trying to thaw out.
Since we’re ALMOST in the 50s temperature, I figured I’d share a healthy, warming soup to get us there.
If you’ve ever had lasagna soup, you know how comforting and filling it is. The lasagna noodles fill up the soup and soak up the flavors of the soup.
This zucchini noodle version replaces the lasagna noodle with, well, zucchini noodles.
We use Blade A for this soup to create ribbon-style noodles with resemble the consistency of true lasagna noodles. It works so well, you won’t miss the lasagna!
For this version, I chose to make it vegetarian-friendly, so I used lentils, but if you want to make a true lasagna-style soup, you could stir in some ricotta, you could use ground beef or sausage – just customize it to your favorite lasagna.
Consider it a deconstructed lasagna in a soup.
Happy Sunday, everyone! If you’re meal planning, add this one to the list!
My second cookbook, Inspiralize Everything, is only $9.99. Grab your copy before the flash sale ends!
My first cookbook, Inspiralized, is only $8.87. Grab your copy while the flash sale lasts!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 7 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Zucchini Lasagna Soup with Lentils
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 carrots peeled, diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade A, noodles trimmed
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- shredded mozzarella cheese to garnish (about ½ cup)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until vegetables sweat, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, water, bay leaf, and lentils. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and let simmer, about 15-20 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchinis on Blade A and trim the noodles with kitchen shears.
- Once lentils are cooked through, stir in the basil and zucchini noodles and let cook for 5 minutes or until zucchini noodles are al dente.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with mozzarella. Serve warm.