First there was the pumpkin spice sweet potato noodle waffle.
Then there was the parsnaffle.
Now, there’s the spiralized dark chocolate sweet potato noodle waffle.
There’s something amazing about spiralized waffles, and I’m so happy to have been the first person to bring them to the Internet!
I’m a lover of all things breakfast – pancakes, French toast, maple syrup, waffles, granola, oatmeal, Taylor ham egg and cheeses (#jerseygirl), I love and want it all. My fondest memories from elementary school are when they’d serve “Breakfast for lunch.”
I was always first in line. Guess I’ve always loved food! Or, carbs?
I could devour a box of dry cereal in a sitting. I’ve done it.
Luckily, now that I’m a mature, sophisticated woman (hehe), I’ve upgraded from Lucky Charms to spiralized waffles! Not only are these waffles clean eating friendly (they’re THREE ingredients), they are packed with flavor.
The sweet potato noodles cook with cinnamon first, so they’re infused with that subtly sweet, fragrant taste and then they’re packed into a waffle iron with dark chocolate for a sweetness that’s not overwhelming, just all kinds of right.
And they’re only THREE ingredients!
If you’re looking for an affordable waffle iron, I love this Krups belgian waffle iron – it gets the job done!
I made these with ALOHA’s superfood chocolate – specifically, their Original Dark Chocolate flavor. What I love most about ALOHA’s chocolate is that it’s vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy and dairy free. Plus, while you’re eating chocolate, you’re packing in those antioxidants and nutrients!
The ingredients for this chocolate bar are as follows: Peruvian Fair-Trade Raw Cacao Nibs/Beans, Balinese Coconut Sugar, Ecuadorian, Raw Cacao Butter, Daily Good Greens Chocolate, Philippine Raw Coconut Flakes, Vietnamese Raw Cashews, Tahitian Vanilla Bean.
It’s no secret I love ALOHA, and these waffles are just another reason to love them. Actually, last week, I came home and really was craving some chocolate, and I broke open their Macadamia-Coconut bar and ate half of it and didn’t feel a sugar-high or any of the bloating you feel when you eat, say, a thick, sugary milk chocolate bar. I just felt my sweet tooth satisfied!
Heck, it’s the holidays! What better time than to treat yourself or gift someone some delicious, thoughtful, healthy chocolate?
I am totally making these waffles for my family on Christmas morning this year, or sometime during that holiday week – I’m so excited! I think I may start a family tradition once Lu and I have kids.
ALOHA Chocolate Lover’s Kit
ALOHA is giving away one lucky reader their Chocolate Lover’s Kit – which, includes 1 original superfood dark chocolate bar, 2 packets of chocolate daily good greens and 2 ALOHA bars! This kit makes a great stocking stuffer or just keep it for yourself as a treat for kicking this year’s ass! Open to US addresses only, giveaway ends Wednesday, December 16th, 5pm EST. Good luck!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 6 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate (I used two rectangle pieces from ALOHA’s Superfood Dark Chocolate)
- cooking spray
- optional, to top: maple syrup, blueberries, pecans, etc.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the sweet potatoes and season with salt and cinnamon. Toss and cook for about 10 minutes or until noodles are cooked through. You can cover to cook more quickly.
- Transfer the noodles to a large mixing bowl and add in the egg and chocolate. Toss to combine.
- Spray the preheated waffle iron with cooking spray and pack in the noodles carefully. You may have to play around with the noodles to get them to fit in all of the grooves.
- Cook the waffle according to your iron’s settings.
- When done, carefully remove the waffles and transfer to plates. Top with any toppings you’d like, but don’t forget the maple syrup.