Who knew a can of jackfruit could turn into such a flavorful and filling meal! With a spicy buffalo sauce, this pulled jackfruit transforms into a meat substitute and is served in a tortilla for an epic taco dinner!
Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
While these are not traditional flavors you’d see in a taco, they surely do work! If you love chicken tacos and buffalo chicken, you’ll love the flavors of this buffalo jackfruit.
Jackfruit is a relative of figs and breadfruit (thanks, Google!) and is native to regions like India and Malaysia, although thanks to companies like Native Forest (the brand I buy of canned young jackfruit), we can enjoy it anywhere. Yes, it comes from a can – but it can be transformed into something magical, like “buffalo meat.”
I used buffalo sauce from Primal Kitchen (this one here) and I love it because it’s not too spicy, but just spicy enough, just like a true buffalo sauce. The jackfruit has a thickness like a meat, so it’s hearty enough to fill a taco and fill you up!
How to make pulled jackfruit
- Drain and rinse a can of jackfruit
- Saute sliced onions and garlic in a medium skillet with olive or avocado oil
- Add the jackfruit to the skillet and saute for a few minutes
- Add vegetable broth and cover, letting cook for 10 minutes, mashing with the back of a fork or a potato masher every few minutes
- Once the jackfruit is soft enough to “pull,” take a potato masher or two forks and pull apart the jackfruit until shredded, like a shredded meat!
- Add whatever sauce you’d like to flavor the jackfruit – teriyaki, barbecue, buffalo, etc!
It’s that easy. Once you have the pulled jackfruit meat, it can be used in tacos, quesadillas, in rice bowls, or any other way you’d typically use a pulled meat.
I topped these tacos with avocado, feta, black beans, and some shredded romaine and it was a winning combination. My meat-eating husband even said, “It tastes like chicken!”
And of course, if you wanted to make these vegan, just omit the feta or use a dairy-free cheese alternative.