Chicken Parmigiana, meet Spaghetti and Meatballs.
Spaghetti and Meatballs, meet the sweet potato and the Inspiralizer.
Today’s recipe has two major comfort food dishes in one, made healthier, thanks to the Inspiralizer.
These gluten-free chicken meatballs are baked in a skillet parmigiana-style (melted with cheese and tomato sauce) and served with sweet potato noodles, a la spaghetti and meatballs!
If you want to make it a bit lighter, you can swap in zucchini noodles, but I wouldn’t pre-cook the noodles, I’d just lightly cook them in the skillet with the last step, when you’re melting the cheese. Otherwise, they’ll get too watery (have you seen this video?) Otherwise, you can cook the zucchini noodles separately and then just serve with the skillet meatballs.
I hope everyone had a great Easter. I woke up in a daze, like I had been hit my a drunk and I had no idea what had happened the day before! It was a whirlwind of a day that started at 7:30am and didn’t really end until 9pm, when my family left. I hosted and it was a lot of prepping, cooking, and cleaning.
Then, when I got to my office this morning at 8:15am, the freezer was beeping, because SOMEONE left it open – so everything in the freezer defrosted and spoiled, ugh! Not the best way to start your Monday.
I’m still optimistic about this week – there’s lots to do, and I’m excited to have another super productive week. Who’s with me?!
Now you can watch a cooking video of this recipe:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 13 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Chicken Meatball Parmigiana and Sweet Potato Noodle Bake
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, spiralized
- salt and pepper
- 1 24 oz jar tomato sauce of choice I use Victoria Fine Foods' Tomato Herb or Tomato Basil
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- to garnish: chopped curly parsley
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all of the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl and mix together. Dip your hands in water and form a golf sized meatball and set on the baking sheet. Repeat until 8 meatballs are formed.
- Transfer the meatballs into the oven, bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes.
- After the meatballs are flipped, place a deep, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Once oil is shimmering, add the sweet potato noodles and season with salt and pepper. Toss and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften and then pour in the tomato sauce. Toss well and let cook for 5 more minutes or until cooked to al dente or your preference.
- Once the meatballs are done, add them to the pasta mixture, spreading them out in the skillet evenly. Remove from heat and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Transfer to the oven and let cook for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, season with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley, and serve.