I order a lot of ingredients through an online grocery delivery service named FreshDirect. It’s local in this area (the tri-state) and it’s amazing – you basically grocery shop on their website and they deliver you fresh produce and pantry items.
This isn’t a sponsored post, and yes, I have a point.
Every week, when I do my big grocery order (and then go to Whole Foods to fill in the gaps/get specialty items that FreshDirect does not have), I always make a point to order at least one new food item that I don’t normally order.
This past week, I did dragonfruit for Luca (he LOVED it) and these mini organic eggplants for me (which, I also made for him in the end.)
They came in a quart and they are just the cutest little baby eggplants, I want to squeeze them! I was going to make them with a tahini drizzle but then I said, “they’d be so good in a curry!”
Thus, this curry was born – but simmering them in the curry sauce would make them soggy and lifeless, so what I do here is saute them, set them aside, and then simply top them in the bowl and drizzle over with the remaining curry sauce for that bang of flavor!
This whole meal takes 30 minutes – a quick curry with spiralized carrots, chickpeas for protein, all served over a bed of quinoa (or you can use brown rice) for extra protein and to catch all the yummy sauce. And, I’ll add that it’s meal prep friendly!
Hope everyone has an amazing start to your week!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Curried Coconut Carrot Bowls with Eggplant
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 quart mini eggplant halved lengthwise, leaves and trims trimmed (or you can substitute with 1 medium eggplant, cubed)
- salt and pepper
- 2 scallions sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 ” piece of ginger peeled, minced
- 2 large carrots Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 15oz cans lite coconut milk
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- To serve: 2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice 1/2 cup per serving
- To garnish: scallions
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the eggplant, cut sides down and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes per side or until soft and fork tender. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil back in the skillet used to cook the eggplant over medium-high heat again. Add the white scallions, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the carrot noodles and toss. Add the curry powder and stir to coat the carrots. Pour in the coconut milk and chickpeas and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes or until carrot noodles are no longer crunchy.
- Divide the brown rice into bowls and top with the curried carrot mixture and eggplant. Pour over curry broth. Garnish with green scallions and serve.