One of my New Year’s resolutions (this 2016) was to become a better baker. Unfortunately, I didn’t make an effort in prime baking months (the winter), so this summer, I’ve been slowly working on my baker’s muscles.
I’ve always been a Dunkin Donuts’ chocolate glazed donut kinda gal, and the thought of making donuts always kind of intimidated me, until a donut pan randomly popped up on my Amazon feed and I impulse purchased it.
Now, we have chocolate zucchini noodle muffins!
These muffins are gluten-free and Paleo-friendly. They’re made with less processed flours like coconut and tapioca. The chocolate chips are vegan, they’re stuffed with zucchini noodles, and they have a chocolate glaze made from said vegan chocolate chips and a healthy dusting of coconut flakes.
SO, while you shouldn’t eat all six of these at a time, having one as a dessert or late-afternoon treat won’t throw you into that sugar roller coaster that a traditional donut would. BUT, they’re just as tasty!
PLUS, they have bananas and zucchini noodles in them – SO, not only are they fun to make, they have a little infusion of fruits and veggies. They’re also made with eggs, so there’s a bit of protein in there too.
They save well, they’re pretty, and they’re the perfect solution to that morning or afternoon donut craving.
Here’s a link to the donut pan I purchased.
I hope everyone has a great week and I hope you’re cooking from the new cookbook (Inspiralize Everything) alongside with me. Here’s the week’s schedule (I had to adapt, because we didn’t get home until late last night, so there was no time to cook!)
Here’s this week’s schedule if you want to follow along:
- Monday, Aug 22: Crabless Crab Cakes with Green Apple Guacamole
- Tuesday, Aug 23: Chicken Tagine with Apricot Golden Beet Rice
- Wednesday, Aug 24: Poached Salmon over Jicama Noodle Salad with Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Dressing
- Thursday, Aug 25: Ginger-Crab Fried Daikon Rice
Now you can watch a cooking video of this recipe:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 11 points with toppings, 7 points without toppings
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
With coconut and chocolate glaze:
Without coconut and chocolate glaze:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Noodle Donuts with Coconut-Chocolate Glaze
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1.5 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- For the chocolate
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips I like Enjoylife brand
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a donut tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Slice the ends off of the zucchini and then slice it halfway lengthwise. Spiralize, using Blade D. In a medium bowl, add in the coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cacao.
- In another medium bowl, mix the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond milk, coconut oil and banana together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and add in the zucchini and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the donut tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you pierce the center of a donut and the donut is firm and hardened on the outside, like a donut!
- Pop the donuts out carefully.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add in the chocolate chips. Let heat, stirring frequently, until fully melted.
- Place the donuts on a piece of parchment paper and drizzle over with chocolate. Dust with coconut flakes. Enjoy immediately or let stand for 20 minutes for the chocolate to harden.