During my five months living in South Kensington in London, while studying abroad, I ate a lot of food. I loved the food in London. Funny enough, all of my friends who studied abroad in Italy, France, and other glamorous European countries kept saying, “Oh, the food must be terrible!”
Au contraire! The food in London is like that of New York City – a melting pot of all the greatest cuisines. I slurped up curries, devoured pad thai and grew very fond of this little Moroccan restaurant a few blocks away, called Couscous Darna.
I’ll never forget that restaurant. I always wanted to sit in the corners with the pillowed window sills. It was absolutely magical – the smells from the kitchen filled the restaurant and transported its patrons to an exotic city with different people, traditions, culture and of course, food.
Ever since discovering Moroccan food, I’ve been hard-pressed to find a similar experience in NYC, near me. This is why I’m a proponent of cooking most meals at home – you can make whatever your heart desires at any moment!
This skillet is meant to be shared between two people…. of course, preferably on a window sill in London, surrounded by pillows, Europeans and some mint infused cocktails.
The poached eggs seep into the harissa-spiced sauce and create a creamy, delicious flavor for the zucchini noodles. Plus, the cumin and saffron seem to stick to the chickpeas and add an extra kick to the dish.
This skillet wouldn’t have worked without the harissa sauce. What I love most about this Mina Harissa product is the ingredient list: red chili pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar & salt. No wonder it’s so good!
What’s your favorite type of cuisine?
Disclaimer: Although Casablanca Foods provided complimentary products and compensation for this recipe, all opinions are my own.
Harissa Zucchini Spaghetti Skillet with Kale, Chickpeas and Poached Eggs
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or half a 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Mina Harissa Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 small pinch of saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups chopped kale
- 3/4 cup chickpeas
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade C
- 2 whole eggs
- feta and chopped parsley to garnish
- Place a medium cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in garlic and shallots. Cook for 30 seconds and then add in the diced tomatoes, harissa sauce, cumin, saffron and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped kale, stir to combine and let cook until sauce is reduced. Once sauce is reduced, add in the zucchini noodles and chickpeas. Toss the noodles around until covered in the sauce.
- Move the mixture around to create two pockets for the eggs. Crack one egg into each pocket. Cover the skillet and let cook for about 5 minutes or until egg whites have fully set.
- Remove the cover, garnish with parsley and feta. Enjoy!