Tomorrow I’m rounding up all of the classic pasta, noodle and rice dishes that I’ve Inspiralized. So, today, I’m posting a classic to add to that list: spaghetti alla foriana.
Instead of regular pasta, I’m using kohlrabi noodles, but this dish is so spectacular (I really mean that word!) that it will go with all kinds of spiralized veggie – zucchini, sweet potato, beet, carrot – any!
The intense flavor from the walnuts, pine nuts and garlic is ridiculously delicious that when I took my first bite, I wasn’t happy, I was mad – how did I not think to make this sooner?!
Honestly, my mind was racing when I dug my fork into the plate – this simple sauce (foriana) can be used as a crust for a casserole or just as a mix into a tomato sauce. It’s got such a wonderful rich, nutty, garlicky flavor that enhances the flavor of everything it combines with.
I chose kohlrabi, because I wanted to switch things up a bit and I hadn’t used it in a while. Kohlrabi has a mildly sweet flavor that tastes like a radish and a cucumber got together and had a baby vegetable. Seriously!
That flavor profile is perfect for this foriana sauce, because the refreshing bite of the kohlrabi helps lighten up the garlicky tones. Also, kohlrabi cooks quickly and has the best al dente crunch. Plus, it doesn’t release much liquid when cooking, so you don’t end up with a bowl of soupy noodles!
As for the raisins, well, who wouldn’t want a little bit of soft sweetness in their pasta? The golden raisins are not only beautiful in this neutral toned dish, they offer a lovely texture and sweetness that complements the pine nut and walnut flavors.
If you’re like me and recovering from a fun weekend of Halloween festivities, this is just the kind of dish you need – healthy, flavorful and easy to make (mostly with pantry items!) The walnuts are jam-packed with heart healthy amino acids, powerful antioxidants to help with aging and omega-3s that help with brain function.
Can you tell that I love spaghetti alla foriana? I can’t wait to round up all the classics tomorrow on the blog!
What’s your favorite way to use kohlrabi?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Kohlrabi Spaghetti alla Foriana
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 5 cloves of garlic sliced thinly
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium kohlrabi bulbs peeled, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the walnuts, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the kohlrabi noodles and cook for 2 minutes or until they begin to soften. Then, add in the oregano, pulsed nut mixture, raisins and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning the nuts but just enough to fully cook the kohlrabi.
- Serve into bowls.