Can you spiralize a wedding cake? I’m engaged!

EEK! I’m engaged!

Lu proposed on Sunday morning and I said yes! We’re getting married!

Can you sense my excitement? I’m still in shock! I’ve been overwhelmed with happiness, love, and pure giddiness and now, I get to share my story with those who support me every single day: my Inspiralized readers!

Truth: I had scheduled this post for Friday, but I just couldn’t wait to spill the beans.

Inspiralized Engagement

I’m just going to get right to it.

Lu and I woke up, normal as ever. We had a lazy morning, I did some blog work and then he gets a text from his friend Scott saying that they had a gift certificate that was going to expire at this restaurant called Liberty House, which is in the marina in Liberty State Park (which is a gorgeous park that holds the Statue of Liberty.) They invited us for brunch at 11:30am.

So, at 11:15am, Lu and I get on our bikes and bike over to Liberty House (the park’s only about a 10 minute bike ride.) It was so humid, muggy and just plain hot out. I was wearing comfy pants that were black, which didn’t help the situation. If I had known what was going to happen next, I would’ve worn something cuter!

Lou&AliEngagement-153 copy

See? My hair looked like a triangle!

We hop off our bikes, parking them at the restaurant. When we hop off, Lu tells me that Scott and his wife, Katie, are running late, because their baby Jack was being fussy. Nothing out of the norm, but I was so hot and of course, complaining. Lu suggests that we walk around the area, which is gorgeous – it overlooks downtown Manhattan, there’s a 9/11 memorial and all the boats there in the marina.

Fine, I say, even though secretly, all I want to do is sit in the air conditioning.

We’re casually walking, talking about how excited we are to drive to my parents’ house later and hang out with the family. You see, Lu’s mom had been in town for about a week and a half from Puerto Rico, visiting. While she was visiting, we had casually planned on having my parents throw a barbecue at their home in New Jersey so more of my family could meet his mother. It was going to be my grandparents, parents, sister, Lu’s brother, Lu’s sister-in-law, and of course, Lu’s mom.

So, we keep walking, for about 5 minutes, and then we start to walk up a hilltop. It’s a small hilltop and at that point, I still wasn’t on to him.

Inspiralized Engagement

Then, I see it: a picnic. It was adorable – a blue blanket laid out with a straw basket, flowers, a bottle of champagne and some gorgeous flutes set up on a tray. I didn’t think it was for us, at all. The thing is, is that, I’ve always begged Lu to take me on a picnic. For whatever reason, we’ve never been on one together – but I’ve always thought the idea was adorable and romantic, and I wanted to have one with him.

Well, I sure did get my picnic!

He said, “Look – it’s a picnic.” I just thought he was teasing me, because he never takes me on picnics. I just kind of gave a “uh huh” and we kept walking towards it. As we finally get a few feet away, I see that there’s Veuve Cliquot set up, which is my favorite champagne. I looked at him and he goes, “This is for us.” At that point, I knew what was happening and I went into shock.

Inspiralized Engagement

Lu pointed into the city and then to our apartment building (right across from the Freedom Tower on the NJ side of the Hudson) telling me that this is ours together, our life and how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and that he wants us to enjoy a picnic together.

I was in such shock. I hardly knew what was happening. Lu told me to pour us some champagne and as I turned around to nervously grab the glasses, I felt his hand on my hip, as he knelt down on one knee. He pulled a ring out of his pocket and asked me to marry him. I honestly don’t remember what he said in that proposal, because I blacked out I was in such shock!

Inspiralized

I just started kissing and hugging him and he said, “Well, do you say yes?” Of course, I said yes, and I looked down at the ring, as he slid it onto my finger. We had never gone ring shopping, although he had asked me what kind of rings I liked and I had shown him a picture. That’s it. This ring exceeded every single expectation I ever had – it was absolutely stunning, sparkly and so perfect for me, for us.

Inspiralized Engagement

We sat down on the blanket and just talked for the next 15 minutes, enjoying the moment together. He told me about how he went to ask my father and how he had planned everything. Everything was just so perfect, so sweet, so genuine and again, so us. After gluggin’ back a few nervous glasses of champagne, I called my mother, my sister, my grandparents and his family. Then, he called his friend Scott and said, “We’re ready for you.”

Inspiralized Engagement

His best friend Scott, who lives in Jersey City also, had been hiding out, capturing everything on camera! Although he’s a lawyer by day, photography is his hobby and he amazingly photographed the whole engagement. When Scott got there, I gave him a huge hug and then Lu and I excitedly took pictures together. Again, it was so perfect – I loved having Scott there, he’s become one of my closest friends through Lu.

Inspiralized Engagement

Then, his wife, Katie, (who had set up the picnic!) came out with her 2+ year old, Jack, and we all took more pictures together. We wrapped up the picnic and went to a restaurant in the park to have brunch. I couldn’t eat a thing, my stomach was in knots from all the adrenaline and the surprise! I just kept looking at Lu and down at my ring and so happy that everything had happened. I felt so absolutely blessed and grateful for my life and the direction it has taken.

Inspiralized Engagement

After brunch, Lu and I biked back to our apartment (I thought I was going to fall off the bike, my legs were like jelly from the nerves!) We got ready in 15 minutes and drove the 50 minutes to my parents’ house, picking up some wine and champagne on the way.

I couldn’t wait to celebrate with my family and show them the ring!

As we pull around the bend into my driveway, I saw a lot of cars. Way more than there should have been. I knew he had obviously invited a couple extra people, but as we walked onto my parents’ deck and into the kitchen, I saw – Lu had invited a bunch of our friends! Here are the guys – that’s my dad in the blue, on the right of Lu:

Inspiralized Engagement

It was another amazing surprise! I got to celebrate with everyone, it felt so good to see their faces and toast to our engagement. This is my infamous Poppy, who taught me everything I know about Italian cooking:

Inspiralized Engagement

My mother was adorable, playing the perfect hostess, and she got me this cute basket with wedding magazines, thank you notes, jewelry cleaner, champagne and chocolates.

The proposal, the surprise celebration… it was all perfection.

Mostly, I have to thank his sister in law who introduced us (that story, you can read here.) This is Christina:

My sister (and soon to be MOH) is 24 and luckily, took PLENTY of selfies:

Inspiralized Engagement

As we went to bed, exhausted from the day, we looked at each other and I couldn’t have been more in love with someone if I tried. He’s everything to me and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him.

Thank you for all your kind e-mails, comments and messages about our engagement. It means the world to me that you all care enough about me to take the time to send your love.

Inspiralized Engagement

So, tell me, what’s your best engagement/wedding planning advice?

Facebook
Google+
Twitter
LinkedIn

Want to share a photo of what you’ve made? Be sure to click the 'Choose file' button below to add your photos!

The maximum upload file size: 300 MB. You can upload: image. Drop file here

123 comments

Ashley Rick says:
Congrats!!! I absolutely loved reading this story, you did such a great job telling it, and he did such a great job creating it!! I am actually exactly three months engaged myself...we closed on our house April 29th and my fiance proposed in our empty living room over a makeshift candlelit dinner that night! Enjoy the bliss phase, and when your ready to start planning...book your venue first! I was shocked at how fast they book up. Good luck!
Lyn says:
Huge congratulations to you both - what an old romantic he is! It's so lovely to read your story and I wish you every happiness for the future.
sassygirl says:
congrats! what a terrific engagement story! wishing you the very best. :D
Sonja Akins says:
Congratulations! Actually, you CAN spiralize a wedding cake, sort of. It's a Philippine technique called "sotas," and you can see it up close here: http://www.wilton.com/technique/Sotas#reviews. I made both my daughters' wedding cakes and they were covered in white sotas, really pretty! Here's just one example I pulled from the net: http://www.cakedot.com/2009/Jill680SampsonHerbGillenWed2-7-09.jpg. Keep us posted on all the plans and developments! Such fun!
Laura B says:
Congrats! How perfect! Wishing you many, many years of complete happiness ♥
Bonnie says:
Congratulations! I wish you many years of wedded bliss! Btw, My daughter was married at the Liberty House in 2011. Go have a romantic dinner there you will not be disappointed!
Dawn says:
Congrats Ali!! All the best to you!! What a fabulous year it has been for you!
Ellen Gauba says:
Beautiful story! congrats! Wishing both of you many years of wedded bliss to come!
Congratulations! What a sweet way to propose. My best wedding planning advice is to try not to stress out about trying to make it "perfect". Part way through planning, I decided that the most important thing about the day was that we were married by the end of it. Everything else was just gravy. It turned out better than I could have imagined and I don't think I would have enjoyed it that much if I was stressing about every little detail.
Vicki Wu says:
Soooo happy for you! You make me happy with all your inventive recipes, glad to see you happy. Many blessings to you both!
Laura says:
Congrats! What a super sweet romantic engagement. Now as to a spiralized wedding cake, if anyone can come up with something it certainly will be you. P.S. Maybe we'll see the recipe In our new book!!
MeToo52 says:
I think that Lu is a lucky man and deserves congratulations. Best wishes to you both.
kristina says:
congrats! the story made me cry!! beautiful and so romantic
Lorna R. says:
Wow, i love how you wrote that story with the pictures. It made me excited and nervous just like i was with you when it happened! Congrats! You guys deserve the best. Love is such a wonderful thing. Your story reminded me of when my guy proposed & how i felt at the time. I had to stop & take a minute & go give him a kiss & tell him i love him. He said "whats that for" & i replied "Oh, nothing. I just read the Inspiralized blog for the day. I love you!" I had to laugh at his look of confusion. I could imagine him thinking "man, that must have been some recipe." Heehee. But you both seem well suited. My advice would be always respect & honor one another. You never what tomorrow brings so love him as much today like it could be your last. Dont take one another for granted.. Ever. & lastly, don't get "too comfortable" around one another so you keep the spark alive and fresh always. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness! Through your writing, your love for each other is truly palpable.
Lorna R. says:
As if i didnt write enough the first time.. Hahahaa! Tell Lu he needs to seriously think about starting a blog that gives romantic tips for men. As much as i love him, my guy could certainly use a refresher now & again. As i am sure many guys could use the help. He's a sweetie though. I am very lucky. But great job Lu! That could not have been planned any better!
Melissa says:
How exciting! The ring is beautiful, you're a lovely couple and you will always have this wonderful story to look back to when life takes you to the highs and lows, remember to enjoy it all and that you are stronger together. X
Craig Fredrickson says:
WoW! What a great engagement story! So wonderful&romantic! Way to go Lu! Nice job! Great photos too. All the best to both of you in your future together!!
Joanne says:
AWWW love it love it love it!!!! Now we can be wedding planning fools together. It'll be the best.
Anonymous says:
What a sweet story! Congratulations to you both! You have such a beautiful family.
Janet says:
I cried with happiness while reading this beautiful story! Congratulations!
Kelsey says:
So much happiness. =)
Jpell says:
Congrats!!! You even got Marc Forgione there to celebrate with you guys!
Bonnie says:
Lots of happiness!!
Brian Lee says:
Congrats on the engagement! Us guys are taking notes...
lawirstiuk says:
Congrats! Your story made it cry - it's the perfect Jersey City engagement. I loved the little picnic and am kind of obsessed with picnics in LSP. Recently, I got to picnic there with a guy I really like, and it was pretty much heaven, so I can just imagine how AMAZING you must have felt while all this was happening. I wish you all the happiness! :)
Vanessa says:
Congratulations!
Monica M says:
Congratulations!!! How exciting! My family is getting ready for a big wedding also. My little girl is getting married tomorrow :)
MaryAnn Evans says:
Congratulations! Many blessings & much happiness.
Aaahhh, congratulations!!! My fiancee proposed this past November and I got all teary-eyed just reading your article... it was like reliving that wonderful moment all over again! ^.^ It's such an exciting time! Good luck with the wedding planning! :D
Congratulations! What a sweet and meaningful story!
Alice W. says:
Just smiled the whole way through reading that! its so perfect! congratulations and I hope your life together is fabulous and inspiralized :)
Barrie says:
I'm a few days late but CONGRATS! Y'all make a beautiful couple and I love the ring!
Kristen says:
Ali, I was so happy to read this, congrats and enjoy every single moment, even when you think your hair might spiralize :-) Yayyy.. My husband and I celebrated #33 yesterday (8-1) and we still have fun , though he calls my new spiralizer "the sterilizer",,men,,,what can I say?? Have fun!
Hahaha aww ! Thank you so much :)
Pam says:
A beautiful story…..Congratulations!
CONGRATS, sweet girl!!! What an exciting time for you :) Getting engaged and being married is an amazing experience! I can't wait to see how the wedding plans go and how you throw some spiralized dishes into the mix ;) Best wishes!!
Bobby says:
What a beautiful story
Meaghan says:
Thank you so much!
lisa says:
I love fresh apple juice bought from the farmers market stands. Last year I got my hands on a juicer (thanks Dad!) and ever since then I’ve been livin la vida juicing! When we went apple picking last year I spent hours making cider over the stove, simmering it and adding spices, and yes it was delicious – but it was a long process.

Latest on Inspiralized

Subscribe to one or all of our newsletters for amazing
recipes, inspirational content + our most popular recipe PDF.

• Weekly Recap
  • Kidsletter
  • Products + Sales

cauliflower and carrot masala, totally normal meal on thanksgiving eve, right? 😅🥄

tomorrow we’re going to my BIL’s to hang out with Lu’s side of the family, and I’m excited to see everyone (it’s been YEARS!) and have the kids spend time with their cousins, aunts and uncles 🙏🏼

for the curry, simmer cauliflower, carrots, a jar of @mayakaimalfoods, and 2 cups of @bonafideprovisions veggie broth in a large pot for 20 minutes or until thickened to your preference. add cooked lentils, stir, and serve with jasmine rice, chutney and toasted naan. easy 30 minute meal 👏🏼 not exactly thanksgiving-friendly, but worth a share!

safe travels today and tomorrow and wishing everyone a safe and happy thanksgiving 🦃 I’m so grateful for you
...

rio and sol are 10 weeks old today! 👶🏻👶🏻 10 weeks! 2.5 months! let's chat.⁣ 🙏🏼

rio is much like luca. he loves to be held and needs more touch or movement to fall back asleep. he loves to stare at things in a serious way, especially high-contrast art for babies, so I love reading him books while I hold him (he's the best snuggler.)⁣

sol is my chill boy. he's a good sleeper. he smiles and loves to talk. he's squealing and making his goo-goo-ga-ga sounds all the time, I love chatting with him. he's a bit more like roma as a baby, a bit more independent. he makes the funniest faces and serves up the grimaces like luca used to.⁣

what's funny about twins is that just when you think you know their personality differences, they change - they'll swap. 🤷🏻‍♀️ and to tell them physically apart, there are two key differences:⁣
⏺ rio has a wider head and sol has a more narrow, round forehead⁣
⏺ rio weighs a full pound more than sol⁣

and yes, I have mixed them up a few times! I've been carrying one around, talking to them by name, and then all of a sudden, when I go to pick the other one up, I realize I mixed them up! 😱when they're not together or you're not looking at them straight on, it can be confusing! one of my favorite games is texting my family photos of them and saying, "who's who?!" they get it right 50% of the time, ha!⁣

so far, having twins is just so cool. it's so cool that there are two of them and they are identical! every week that goes by, their personalities shine and I am having so much fun getting to know them - and getting twice the cuddles. and yes, they do sometimes cry at the same exact time, but you just have to pause, gather yourself, and get your soothing game on.⁣ 💪🏼

I have to say, while having newborn twins and 2 other older kids at the same time has its challenges, I give a LOT of credit to those who have twins as their first baby experience - I can't imagine going into this not knowing what I already knew about raising babies. talk about overwhelming! 🤯 all moms are crushing it, but especially those first time moms with multiples - woop! bless you. 👏🏼 #identicaltwinboys #identicaltwins #monoditwins #twinmom #twinboys
...