So I have an interesting story.
A couple weeks ago, I went to Rockaway Beach with my friends to celebrate my good friend Cassidy’s 28th birthday.
We drank micheladas, basked in the sun and ended up back in Brooklyn for a little surprise par-tay.
Before I tell you the story, I just want to tell you that this mango-almond jicama and cabbage salad is a great for a no-cook summer. It’s packed with color, freshness and healthy nutrients. It saves well in the refrigerator and goes well with any type of protein – quinoa, chicken or heck, even pork chops!
One note about this recipe is that the dressing is a bit sweet (on account of the mango), so if you’re looking to make it less sweet, use a little less mango and add in half an avocado.
Back to the story. Rockaway Beach is great – it’s a closer, more hip alternative to the Jersey shore. It’s a little grittier, but in a very cool, real way. I really recommend visiting if you live in the NYC area!
As we go to leave the beach, I see a girl, standing in front of this cute lime green brick building. As I come closer, I see she’s holding a ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles.
Mm, I think, where can we find that?
As I get closer, I see she’s posing in front of a guy, who is taking pictures of her. She tilts her head back, smirks and giggles, although I didn’t hear him say a word.
I sound like I’m writing a column in Cosmo, but I promise there’s a point!
I stopped and a few feet behind him, waiting for my friends, I realized what they were doing – staging an Instagram picture.
The girl goes, “Okay, one more!” and she sticks her tongue out, barely gracing the top of the swirly ice cream.
Almost immediately she looks completely disinterested in the ice cream in front of her, shoves it into her man-friend’s hands and goes, “You ready?”
The ice cream wasn’t even hers, people!! It was just for Instagram!
I just thought that was a funny story.
What do you think?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 4 points
Mango-Almond Jicama and Cabbage Salad
- For the dressing:
- 1.5 cups diced mango about 1 full mango
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- For the rest:
- 1 medium jicama peeled, Blade C
- 1 cup diced scallions
- 1 cup cooked edamame
- 1 cup of spiralized red cabbage using Blade A
- Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust, if necessary.
- Combine the jicama noodles, scallions, edamame and spiralized cabbage into a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Drizzle with the dressing, toss again and set aside in the refrigerator. Let chill for 10 minutes, then toss together and plate. Garnish each bowl with avocado.