We’re back with another winner of the monthly Inspiralized Cook-Off Challenge in our (free!) private Facebook community for Inspiralized.
The community has grown to over 8,700 people – and all of us are excited about spiralizing and sharing our spiralized meals! It’s the official #inspiralizedsquad.
I love the community. My favorite time of day is now when I go through the community and check to see what members are talking about and making. I’m so impressed by the delicious meals everyone’s creating!
I also love the support of the community. If anyone has a question about spiralizing or an issue cooking a particular recipe from the blog or cookbook, everyone chimes in and comes to the rescue! Of course, the community is moderated by Meaghan and myself, so we check in every day to make sure there aren’t any questions that need our urgent attention.
It’s just such a fun way to engage with all of you on a much more personal level. This isn’t anything like the main Facebook page (Facebook.com/Inspiralized) where we share announcements, recipes, and Facebook Lives. It’s a more dedicated, intimate community where people can interact with one another!
If you’re interested in joining, it’s free! I really encourage you to (click here!) – I’m amazed everyday by the creativity and inspiration from all the members!
The “Inspiralized Cook-off Challenge” happens every other month. In these challenges, we post a theme (this theme was “your go-to healthy spiralized meal”) and members have a full month to submit their recipe images and full-length recipes. The winner gets their recipe re-created on this blog, each time!
We got so many submissions, members voted, we narrowed it down to three finalists, and then finally, the winner was chosen! Congratulations to Cristina, who won the May contest with her Mexican Quiche with Spiralized Sweet Potato Crust!
And now, let’s get to know Cristina, our winner! And don’t forget to join the community, if you’re interested!
Meet Cristina: Community Cook-off Challenge Winner
Cook-off month: May
Cook-off theme: Mexican-inspired recipes
Cook-off recipe: Mexican Quiche with Spiralized Sweet Potato Crust
What is your name and where do you live?
Cristina Wardrip I live in Atlanta, GA
How did you come up with this recipe?
I absolutely love the chorizo and sweet potato combo. It’s a meal that we often make at home. When the May challenge was announced I thought that if we could make buns out of sweet potatoes why not quiche crust?!?! So I decided to make my favorite combo into a quiche. The rest of the stuff I added were veggies and spices that I already had at home.
When did you first start spiralizing/when did you discover spiralizing?
I had heard about zoodles for years but didn’t try them until September 2016. I borrowed a friend’s handheld spirilizer and fell in love with zoodles. Right away I put a countertop spirilizer on my Christmas list and as soon as I received it I have been spirilizing any veggie that will cooperate non stop. When I received my spirilizer I discovered inspiralized and eventually upgraded to the inspiralizer too!!
How often do you spiralize?
Since receiving my spiralizer I spiralize at least once a week but more often 2 to 3 times a week.
How has spiralizing helped you be healthier?
I have not eaten pasta since I tried my first spiralized noodle. This has really helped me cut down on calories. Also, I notice that I eat a lot less because spiralized veggies go a long way.
Why did you join the Inspiralized community?
I wanted to get ideas for new spiralized recipes.
What do you love most about the Inspiralized community?
I absolutely love the inspiration and encouragement to eat healthy from all the gorgeous photos that are posted daily. These pictures intice me to try out new healthy delicious recipes every day.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our first Inspiralized Cook-off Challenge, and we can’t wait for your submissions in our next contest:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 10 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Mexican Quiche with Spiralized Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 1/2 chorizo links decased, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled, Blade D
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 eggs + 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- jalapeño & cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a 10" skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the chorizo and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Set aside on a plate and immediately add the oil. Once oil is shimmering, add the sweet potato noodles and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss and cook for about 7 minutes or until cooked through. When done, add back in the chorizo and spread the noodles out like a “crust” and carefully transfer the skillet into the refrigerator and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the spinach to the same skillet used to cook the potatoes and chorizo and cook until it is wilted set aside with chorizo.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the spices. Whisk to combine eggs and spices. Once it is well blended add the chorizo, spinach, tomatoes and black beans to the bowl and mix well.
- Remove crust from the fridge and pour egg mixture on top of the crust. Cook for 20 minutes, top with cheese and cook another 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with jalapeño and cilantro and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.