This one-pan, gluten-free dinner is flavor, veggie and protein packed with pesto and mozzarella cheese melted on a butterflied chicken breast.
Something I’m trying to make a bigger effort towards is spending more time with my mom friends. It’s fun to get together with other mamas and talk about everything from, of course, motherhood to marriage to health – to whatever!
The the other night, I went out with a mama friend and I had made this recipe for the blog and had leftovers I didn’t want to go to waste, so when Lu got home from work (before I went out for the night), I reheated it and gave it to him.
He kept calling it a chicken parm, haha, but it’s so much better than that (and no Parmesan cheese or breading!) Just a few simple ingredients and easy steps make this a winning recipe.
The zucchini noodles are cooked in the leftover chicken juice for a savory, juicy flavor and no need to add additional oil for cooking.
But really, the recipe is simple – thinly sliced chicken topped with pesto and mozzarella. The mozzarella melts on the stovetop (it’s one pan!) and right when it’s done melting, you top with chopped tomatoes and they literally melt into the cheese. The tomatoes cook in the gooey, cheesy mozarella – it’s just the best.
Served simply with zucchini noodles, this is definitely a farmer’s market friendly recipe!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Pesto Chicken Mozzarella Melt with Zucchini Noodles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- red pepper flakes to garnish
- 3-4 medium zucchinis Blade D, noodles trimmed
- Using a sharp knife, butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting horizontally almost all the way through (you want it to open up like a book with a spine down the center.) Place the chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound until about 1/8 inch thick. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Cook one chicken breast for 3-5 minutes per side or until browned and juices run clear. Top with half of the pesto, spreading it all over the chicken. Top with half of the mozzarella. Cover the pan and cook until the cheese melts, 3-5 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the chicken to a plate and immediately garnish with half of the tomatoes and red pepper flakes, if using. Repeat with remaining oil, chicken, pesto, mozzarella, and tomatoes and again, transfer to a plate. When done, slice the chicken breasts in half to yield 4 pieces.
- Once the chicken is done, immediately add the zucchini noodles to the skillet and toss often until al dente, 3-5 minutes. Drain the noodles into a colander and serve alongside the chicken breasts. Serve.