Happy May 1! I can’t believe it’s already been a month since my 27th birthday and my big cookbook announcement.
Time really does fly when you’re having fun… for lack of a better phrase.
Okay, friends. There’s a little more than 3 weeks until Memorial Day, so you’ll need some fresh summer recipes for your road trips, picnics, days on the beach and your healthy lunches. I’ve got you covered today with this quinoa-beet rice salad.
Before I dive into my usual recipe brag spiel, let me talk a bit about the cookbook.
On Tuesday night, I went to a cookbook launch party for our friend, Marc. Marc owns a restaurant in TriBeCa aptly called “Marc Forgione” and two steakhouses called American Cut – one in Atlantic City and one in TriBeCa, a few doors down from his first resto. He also happens to be an Iron Chef and engaged. Talk about busy!
I loved celebrating with friends, but most importantly, I was really proud of Marc. His cookbook is not only a work of art, he’s just been such an inspiration to me. Actually, in the very beginning, I was sitting across from him about this time last year, at his restaurant, talking about my ideas for Inspiralized, asking for his advice. What did he tell me?
Something along the lines of, “If you want something, you’ve got to give it your all. There’s no other option.” He told me to just devote all of my time and energy to Inspiralized and say goodbye to my day job. Pretty daunting advice, but I needed to hear it from someone passionate about what they do.
Thanks for the advice, Marc. It worked!
As you all know, I’m happier than ever and I’m loving blogging about spiralizing and writing my first cookbook. I’ve got a few other projects and tricks up my sleeves, too.
Now, for this veggie-packed beet rice. Beets are great raw. They have that clean, crisp and juicy taste. Beets work well with simple ingredients, like apple cider vinegar and a citrus. That’s what I did today, with a little honey for sweetness and loads of salty and savory veggies, to really seal the deal.
This big fluffy bowl of “rice” is perfect for a picnic, your Memorial Day party, or just for lunch during the week – it can save up to 3-4 days! The corn and raw beets give this salad its crunch, while the feta and olives give it a salty kick. The avocado adds a soft texture and the quinoa, of course, gives it a protein boost, along with the pinto beans.
Pretty much, I just kept on adding ingredients until I felt comfortable calling it a salad. I’m definitely the girl in the salad bar line asking for every last veggie. “Oh, and carrots and cucumbers and tomatoes and artichokes and broccoli and onions and peppers and olives and …..” Yup, that’s me!
So. Make this beet rice salad and go buy Marc’s book – the pictures are so pretty!
UPDATED: NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Quinoa-Beet Rice Salad with Veggies and Feta
- salt to taste
- 1 ear of corn
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium beets peeled, Blade C
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup pitted and halved green manzanilla olives
- 1/2 avocado peeled, diced in small cubes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Cover your ear of corn with lightly salted water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until corn is easily pierced with a fork. Drain into a colander and slice off kernels with a knife, into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, place in the dry quinoa with the water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy. Add more water by the tablespoon if quinoa sticks to the bottom before its done cooking. Set aside once done.
- Place your beet noodles in a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Pour into a large mixing bowl with the cilantro, beans, bell pepper, olives, avocado, feta, apple cider vinegar and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss everything to combine thoroughly. Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!