Use up your winter brussels sprouts with this zesty and slightly sweet kale and brussels sprouts salad with spiralized pears and toasted almonds.
Shredded Kale, Pear and Brussels Sprouts Salad
This time of year, I love taking advantage of the abundance of brussels sprouts. I roast them into vegetable bowls, slice and bake them into frittatas, and I shred them into salads, like with this Shredded Kale, Pear and Brussels Sprouts Salad.
The pears are spiralized, so every bit of salad has a little crunch of pear. When you simply slice a pear into a salad, they always end up in the bottom of the salad and not in every bite to lend their sweetness to the kale and sprouts. Spiralizing pears is easy because there’s no prep and the noodles come out beautifully. Just make sure your pear is not overripe or it will turn to mush while spiralizing.
I love shredding kale, because it makes it easier to chew and digest and makes for a fluffy salad. The toasted almonds are nutty and fragrant and add the finishing touch to this veggie packed salad.
If you want to add protein, try serving it with a pork chop, chickpeas, quinoa, or add some cubed cheese! This salad also saves and travels well, so pack it for a week of lunches! The longer the salad sits in the fridge, the more flavorful and soft it becomes – I recommend no more than 3 days for optimal freshness.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Shredded Kale, Pear Noodle and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- For the salad:
- 6 oz about 2 cups brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 pear Blade D (any pear will do – I love Bosc or Anjou)
- 3 tablespoons sliced blanched almonds
- 1 cup finely chopped aka shredded kale
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the sliced almonds and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set almonds aside.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust to your preference, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and toss the brussels sprouts, pear noodles, toasted almonds, and kale. Drizzle over with the vinaigrette and toss again. Serve.