You’ve never had broccoli like this, in a protein-packed, vegetarian sandwich that hits all the flavor notes and comes together in under 30 minutes.
Smashed Broccoli, White Bean and Mozzarella Sandwich with Romesco
I’ve really gotten into sandwiches lately. Long gone are the days of my raw vegetable sandwiches. There’s so much more to life than raw sandwiches! It’s now my goal to create a repertoire of easy (20 minutes or less) sandwiches that are fulfilling in every sense of the word.
Broccoli is so versatile and after making this smashed broccoli dish, I knew I had to use this method another way and this sandwich was born. The broccoli is hearty enough to make this a fulfilling sandwich and if the broccoli isn’t enough, there’s a garlicky white bread spread, a robust romesco, and of course, gooey mozzarella. Oh, and bread! And greens!
This sandwich really has it all and it’s meal prep friendly, believe it or not — just buy a romesco, make the white bean spread (will store well for 3-5 days), and steam some broccoli. Once you’re ready to eat, just assemble and melt! Lunch in 5 minutes.
I also feel like this is the kind of sandwich you order out at a restaurant and are pleasantly surprised. And yes, you could stick some chicken in there, but you don’t need it, trust me!
Don’t skip a single thing in this sandwich, but if you want to take it to the next level, use a smoked mozzarella. Again, trust me!
Smashed Broccoli, White Mean and Mozzarella Sandwich with Romesco
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 1 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 French baguette sliced into 6” sandwich loaves (one baguette yields about 2-3 of these)
- ½ pound mozzarella cheese ball sliced into 1/4” thick slices
- 6 tablespoons romesco sauce
- If you don’t have a toaster oven, preheat an oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a medium pot filled halfway with water to a boil. Once boiling, place a colander or steam basket on top and add in the broccoli and cook until fork tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, pat dry, and smash with a knife or other way.
- Meanwhile, place the white beans in a food processor with the garlic, lemon juice, and oil and pulse until mixture is coarsely chopped. Please note that you won’t use all the white bean spread, so save it in the fridge for 3-5 days!
- Toast the bread halfway through. After toasting, spread out the white bean spread on the bottom piece of bread. Place the cooked broccoli on top of the white bread spread and then place the mozzarella slices on top of the broccoli. Place into an oven or toaster oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- While cheese is melting, spread the romesco sauce on the top slices of bread. Once cheese is melted, top with the top piece of bread. Serve.