It can be tough to squeeze in veggies first thing in the morning, unless you’re making a green smoothie, or a veggie-stuffed omelette.
One of my favorite “tricks” to make something breakfast-appropriate is to top it with a fried egg. It’s also my trick to hearty-up a meal for my husband.
Today, I’m showing you a bowl of veggies topped with a fried egg, that is totally breakfast-appropriate! Or, breakfast for dinner!
This bowl uses spiralized parsnips, kale, and tomatoes for a simple flavor combination that’s breakfast-friendly. The fried egg gives the dish a little sauce, once the yolk is broken.
The runny egg with the nutty, sweet parsnips and savory tomatoes and kale creates a bowl of veggies that’s flavorful, nutrient-filled, and helps you get your daily dose of veggies first thing in the morning – no boring smoothies required.
If you want to prep this for a lunch, use scrambled eggs, so it saves better. Perhaps drizzle with some sriracha or top with salsa and avocado (just use regular diced tomatoes, don’t use Italian-seasoned ones.)
Happy Monday, everyone! Hope you start your weeks off well! I’ll be in Austin later today and I’m back on Wednesday for a quick trip to South by Southwest with the Facebook and Adobe team. I’m excited to talk all about creating images and videos for social media! You can follow along on Instagram.
Watch our video to learn how to spiralize a parsnip using the Inspiralizer and subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch more videos:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 9 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Spiralized Parsnip and Kale Breakfast Bowl
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large parsnip peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, no salt added (I use Tuttorosso)
- 2 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the parsnip noodles, season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and cook for 7 minutes or until parsnip noodles are cooked through. Add the kale and tomatoes and toss well to combine. Cook until the tomatoes heat through and kale is wilted, about 5 more minutes.
- Divide the parsnip mixture into two bowls and immediately spray the skillet with cooking spray. Crack in the two eggs and let cook until egg whites set. Top each kale bowl with a fried egg and serve.