Today is the last day of the photoshoot for my second cookbook, #InspiralizeEverything!
I’ve been commuting into the city for the past 6 days (today is day 7) to watch the magic happen that is food photography.
Seriously, I’ve never been more impressed by photography teams in my life! There’s a prop stylist, two food stylists, and of course, a photographer and his assistant. It takes an army to make a book, that’s for sure!
I love the photos SO much, they’re exactly what I had imagined – even better! They really brought my recipes to life – and even helped me make small tweaks to better the recipes.
However, I’m looking forward to normalcy – working out of my apartment, getting work done (ha!), and planning all of the exciting things I have planned for this spring. I’m coming at you with more videos, by the way – I haven’t had a moment to film one!
So on to today’s recipe: I brought this carrot noodle soup to my sister in law’s to have during Superbowl Sunday, and she loved it! Her exact words: “I don’t know how it’s possible, but this soup tastes really hearty.” I’ll take that as a compliment!
I think it’s because of the carrot noodles – when they cook in the broth, they fluff up like whole wheat pasta does and create the perfect, robust consistency to carry the rich flavors of the sausage, cheese, and broth. Plus, kale always thickens things up!
If you don’t eat meat or want a lighter option other than sausage, try stirring in some quinoa or adding in some shredded chicken.
This soup also saves well, so make the full recipe and have leftovers for lunch!
Now you can watch a cooking video of this recipe:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 11 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Spicy Sausage and Kale Soup with Carrot Noodles
- .75 pound sweet Italian sausage decased
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups curly kale chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large carrot or 2 medium carrots peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese optional
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place a large saucepot over medium-high heat and once the pan heats, add in the sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until browned on all sides. Add in the garlic and onions, season with salt and pepper and let cook for 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add in the kale and cook for 1 minute to combine the flavors. Add in the chicken broth and oregano and raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the carrot noodles and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and let cook for 5 minutes or until carrot noodles are cooked through.
- When done, divide into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.