The first time you spiralize, you find out that whenever you do spiralize, you’ll have a leftover “core” that looks pretty funny. It’s a bummer that you can’t spiralize the entire vegetable, but, these leftovers shouldn’t be thrown out.
After polling the Inspiralized community, Facebook, and Instagram, I’ve made a big list of “things to do” with the leftover spiralized cores.
You’ll never toss those funky looking veggie cores out again!
To start, here are my favorite ways to use spiralized leftovers:
1. Chop them up into cubes and place them in an airtight plastic bag or plastic container and save them to use in soups, pastas, salads, rices, casseroles and omelettes. Leftover cubed veggies can last up to 4 days in the refrigerator before getting mushy.
2. Shred them in a food processor and save in the refrigerator (or use immediately) to use in recipes that call for shredded veggies (such as zucchini bread).
3. Dip them in hummus or your favorite vegetable dip.
4. If using apples or pears, cube them up and make a sangria or wine spritzer flavored with fruit!
5. If using cucumbers, cube them up and freeze them in ice cubes and use them to infuse your water.
6. Cube them and throw them right into whatever spiralized dish you’re making.
7. Add them into a juicer with some apple for a sweet green juice.
8. Slice the cores off and save the bottom disc to use as a pizza base. Spread over marinara sauce and melt over a slice of mozzarella and tomatoes. Bake and then garnish with basil! Check out this great recipe via Skinnytaste.com!
More suggestions – from readers!
1. Use them as ingredients in pasta sauces. ~ Marian
2. Use them to make a homemade vegetable broth. ~ Cindy G.
3. My dogs love them! Whenever I pull the spiralizer out they are glued to me until they get their zucchini treat. ~ Marisa O.
4. Compost ~ Kathy S.
5. I add my spiralized leftovers to smoothies. ~ Gabrielle Z.
6. I chop them up and use in soup or muffins. ~ Chrysanne H.
7. I like to steam and purée them to make #babyfood so that our little boy can eat what we are eating, too…Works great for seedless veggies like carrots & sweet potato! -Bela L.
8. I like to chop, roast, and throw them in some scrambled eggs! ~ Kim O.
9. My son goes crazy for them – especially zucchini. He would never eat raw zucchini just cut up but if it is a funny, floppy spiralizer core he eats it in 5 seconds flat! ! Sarah B.
10. I cut them into bite-sized pieces, put them in a plastic bag and freeze. When I have collected a bagful of assorted veggies, I cook them and enjoy! ~ Sherill R.
11. I save up different veggies over a couple of days and make a mash out of it! ~ Malene
To get more suggestions, check out this post on Instagram and scroll through the comments:
So tell me – what do you do with your leftover vegetable cores?