Welcome the lovely Laura Davidson from A Beautiful Plate to the Inspiralized blog today!
I had the pleasure of meeting Laura while on a blogging retreat in Utah a couple of years ago (we roomed together!) and ever since then, I knew we’d be friends. She’s a sweet, genuine, and incredibly talented woman and I’m so happy to have her on the blog today.
Laura is a professionally trained chef and blogger living in Chicago, IL. She celebrates her passion for cooking, photography, and food science on her blog, A Beautiful Plate. Her website is dedicated to whole food recipes that are approachable, beautifully presented, and inspiring for cooks of all levels.
When Ali asked if I wanted to help out during her maternity leave and share a fun, new inspiralized recipe with all of you, I immediately said yes. She’s one of the most positive and encouraging bloggers that I’ve had the pleasure of spending time with, and I feel thrilled to pay it forward.
One of the reasons why I fell in love with spiralizing a few years ago is that it encourages me to prepare vegetables that I might otherwise pass by at the store or farmer’s market. Kohlrabi happens to be one of those vegetables for me. Or at least, it used to be.
While it requires a bit more effort to peel, kohlrabi has quickly gone up my list of favorite vegetables to spiralize. Not only does it hold its shape extremely well, it can be used in raw or lightly cooked applications. Since kohlrabi is part of the cabbage family, I thought it would be fun to use it for a light, end-of-summer slaw salad! With the help of the inspiralizer, this salad comes together in minutes.
This red cabbage kohlrabi slaw combines antioxidant-rich red cabbage, crisp, delicate raw kohlrabi, and carrots with a zesty, herbaceous cilantro lime vinaigrette. Serve it as a side dish to grilled fish or chicken, or turn it into a vegetarian main course with canned chickpeas and a touch of crumbled feta.
Connect with Laura
Note: Hi, it’s Ali! I’m currently taking time off the blog for a maternity leave. During this time, I will be featuring some of the bloggers who have inspired me – they’ve provided spiralized recipes for all of you to enjoy during my absence. I’m honored to introduce them to you if you don’t know them already – and I hope you enjoy this new series!
If you have any questions regarding this recipe or anything Inspiralized related, you can feel free to leave a comment and Meaghan, our Director of Community & Brand will get back to you! You can also reach her via e-mail – she will escalate anything urgent to me, but as I said, I will be preparing for my little one’s arrival and then, of course, enjoying time with him and my husband. You can follow me on Instagram for personal updates – on @inspiralizedali and @inspiralized. Thank you for your understanding and patience as I begin this exciting new chapter of my life!
Spiralized Red Cabbage Kohlrabi Slaw with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- For the cilantro vinaigrette:
- • 3 tablespoons lime juice
- • 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves plus more for garnishing
- • 1 small strip of jalapeno pepper seeds and ribs removed
- • 1/4 cup avocado oil
- • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- • kosher salt
- • freshly ground black pepper
- For the slaw:
- • ½ small red cabbage spiralized with Blade A (roughly 3 cups)
- • 1 large kohlrabi peeled, spiralized with Blade A
- • 2 medium carrots peeled, and shaved with a julienne peeler
- • 3 scallions finely sliced
- In a mini food processor (or high-powered blender), combine the lime juice, cilantro leaves, jalapeno pepper, avocado oil, and ground cumin. Pulse until emulsified and evenly incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the red cabbage, kohlrabi, carrots, and scallions in a large bowl. Quickly whisk the dressing together (if any separation has occurred) and pour on top of the vegetables. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro as desired. Serve immediately.