Spring Vegetable Soup
At last, it’s spring! The official first day of spring was last week (Wednesday, the 20th!) and I couldn’t be more excited to be sharing this Spring Vegetable Soup with spiralized carrots, fresh spring leeks and peas, and tarragon.
I love living in NJ because of the change of seasons. With each new season, comes a whole new batch of seasonal vegetables at the farmer’s markets. If you missed my post on what to make this spring, check out this post. I love walking through the farmer’s markets and seeing what’s new.
One of my favorite things to do at the change of a season is walk through a farmer’s market, discover vegetables or varieties of vegetables I haven’t seen before and take them home and cook with them.
With this soup, I’ve loaded in tons of spring veggies, added white beans for extra protein (there’s good protein in peas, too!), and stirred in fresh spring tarragon for an earthy, beautiful fragrance and taste. I love seeing the carrots get larger in the spring and summertime, because they’re perfect for spiralizing. I also think carrots are totally underrated!
Pair this vegetable soup with a crusty bread, or stir in some shredded chicken or quinoa, and enjoy it as a heartier meal. Or, just have it as a side soup (I snacked on leftovers for a few days!) or a light meal. You’ll be surprised how hearty it is, thanks to those fresh spring spiralized carrots!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Spring Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek trimmed and sliced
- 1 large celery stalk diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 large carrots peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- optional: freshly shaved Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the leek, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until leeks are are soft, about 3 minutes. Add in the broth and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes and then add in the peas, beans, spinach, and carrot noodles. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Stir in the thyme and tarragon and let cook for another minute. Taste and adjust with more and salt and pepper, as needed.
- Divide soup into bowls and top with cheese, if using.