Time is flying by this year (at least for me, it is!) and summer is now officially here. July 4th is right around the corner and before we know it, it’ll be Labor Day.
Last year, I spent pretty much all of my weekends at coffee shops working on Inspiralized and didn’t go down the shore ONCE (that’s Jersey talk for the beach, by the way!)
This year, it’s going to be totally different. Lu and I even bought beach chairs to bring to the shore.
I can’t believe that I’m already announcing May’s Recipe Challenge winner from The Inspiralized Community – Lauren B! Most importantly, the June Recipe Challenge is coming to an end (8 more days) and for some reason, we only have 1 submission!
Maybe it’s tough to make spiralized recipes with strawberries? The June challenge is “anything with strawberries.”
Make sure to check out the June Recipe Challenge and for July, if you have any suggestions for themes, leave them in the comments on this blog post.
As for the May Recipe Challenge, it was for a “Picnic Pasta or Pasta Salad.” There were so many creative submissions and I’m proud to announce May’s winner – Lauren B! She whipped up this gorgeous Summer Broccoli & Carrot Slaw Salad.
What I love most about this recipe is it’s colorful – greens, oranges, purples and whites! It’s also really simple, requires no cooking time and it’s something you can prepare and store in the refrigerator to bring to a get together.
Also, it uses spiralized broccoli – something I’ve yet to post up on Inspiralized yet (coming soon.) Spiralized broccoli is tricky – it doesn’t exactly spiralize like pasta – you get a lot of half moons and broken pieces and only a few perfect spirals. Today, it works, because we’re making a pasta salad.
Now, for the recipe – Lauren used PaleOMG‘s awesome recipe for a Paleo Mayo. However, I wasn’t a fan of this type of mayo (I’m not a fan of mayo in general), so I created my own non-Paleo mayo, using Greek Yogurt.
If you’d like to use the Paleo version of “mayo,” you can find the original recipe here.
Overall, this is a crunchy, fun pasta salad for this summer that tastes even better once it’s sat in the fridge for a few hours, softening the vegetables.
Thanks to everyone who participating and congrats to Lauren, who will receive Udi’s Gluten Free gift basket packed with $75 of gluten-free goodies! Remember to enter the June Recipe Challenge before it ends – join the community first, it’s free!
Nutritional Information and Recipe
Summer Broccoli & Carrot Slaw Salad
- 2 Carrots
- 1 small head Broccoli with Stem
- 1/4 cup Red Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Raisins soaked in warm water before use
- 1/4 cup dry roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- For the Greek Yogurt mayo:
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2-1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Cut the florets off of the head of broccoli in bite size pieces, reserving the stem.
- Spiralize carrot and broccoli stem, then cut noodles into smaller pieces.
- Place all of the ingredients for the "mayo" in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl place broccoli florets, broccoli stem noodles and carrot noodles. Add "mayo" and mix until well coated.
- Then add in raisins and pumpkin seeds, continue to mix until well coated.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and mix once more.