Today is The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! Bloggers all around are gathering today on the ‘net for a good cause: Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. We bake, we ship and we post (today).
It’s my first year participating, and I’m excited for many reasons. First off, three different bloggers have sent me batches of unbelievably yummy cookies. Racquel from ThePrimitivePlatter.com adorably packaged anginettis (Italian lemon drop cookies). Lu and I finished them in one sitting. Oops.
April from FoodnFocus.com sent me a wonderful batch of her Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies, which also… went very quickly. Oops!
Then, I was excited when I finally received Kathy Strah‘s Mexican Chocolate Cookies (she wrote The Ultimate Panini Press Cookbook – cool!)
So what did I send out? Well, I knew it had to be something somewhat “healthy,” so I went with a gluten-free cookie made with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats and whole wheat pastry flour. They kindly set me the oats that I used in this recipe!
Also, I figured it would only be right if I included zucchini in these cookies. Grated, not spiralized.
However, everyone should know that I am a pretty bad baker. I hate having to measure ingredients. I’m more of a “pinch of this, pinch of that” kinda cook. Even though I proofread all of my recipes before posting them, I often forget to list “garlic” or “olive oil.” I’m getting better.
Therefore, when picking a recipe for this Food Blogger Cookie Swap, I decided it was best to just “adapt” a previous recipe. A few swift Googlings and I found The Messy Baker Blog‘s Skinny Chocolate Chip Zucchini Oat Cookies. What a genius this girl is, the cookies were delicious! Lu may or may not have stuffed four into his mouth. I practically had to slap his hand away while I was photographing them!
These cookies are gluten-free, gooey and fall apart so smoothly. The apple butter gives them a healthier sweetness and while you’d think they’d be dry because of the oats, it’s the exact opposite – they’re luxurious.
I swapped in white chocolate chips, removed the raisins and used gluten-free products (thanks Bob’s Red Mill!) in this recipe. Otherwise, I didn’t change a thing. Thanks to Jennie!
I hope you all enjoy the recipe! Now, back to spiralizing….
White Chocolate Zucchini-Oat Cookies (Gluten Free) #fbcookieswap
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup apple butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup white mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, kosher salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add apple butter and brown sugar; mix until the brown sugar melts into the apple butter and the mixture becomes smooth. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. Add the grated zucchini and whisk to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop onto your prepared pan, spacing the cookies 3 inches apart. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Allow the cookies to rest on the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.