One of the easiest way to squeeze in more vegetables into your day is to fold them into mixes, like breads and of course, pancake mixes.
While you’re not necessarily lowering the calorie count of something by folding in veggies, you’re increasing the amount of nutrients in your finished product, thereby making the overall food more nutrient-dense. And we need nutrients to fuel our bodies and keep them functioning well!
So, fold veggies into your mixes and get closer to your daily dose of needed veggies, like today’s zucchini noodle bread pancake!
This idea is especially helpful when trying to get stubborn veggie-haters to eat more veggies! Simply spiralize a veggie and fold it into this pancake mix – and voila: a serving of veggies!
I used Bob’s Red Mill’s Organic 7-Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix and simply added some zucchini bread flavor, like ground nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and walnuts. These pancakes are dairy-free, made with almond milk, and made with coconut oil for a slightly sweet, coconut taste.
This pancake mix has all wholesome ingredients and is made with whole grains, resulting in a tasty, good-for-you pancake. The mix includes whole grain wheat, rye, spelt, corn, oat, Kamut(R), quinoa and brown rice flours, and flaxseed meal for even extra nutrition. Plus, it’s organic – so you know there are no gnarly additives.
These pancakes would also work well with spiralized apples, pears, or carrots! Imagine a carrot cake pancake? Ah – next time!
The zucchini noodles here help keep the pancake’s moistness, since this batter can be a bit dense. If you’re making these and find them not smooth, just add an extra splash of almond milk!
Disclaimer: Although this post was sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, all opinions are my own, always.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 4 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Zucchini Noodle Bread Pancakes
- 1 cup pancake mix I used Bob Red Mill's Organic 7 Grain Pancake Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted and brought to room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small zucchini Blade D, noodles trimmed
- coconut oil cooking spray or regular cooking spray
- maple syrup to serve
- walnuts to garnish optional
- Place the pancake mix, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and whisk together to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, almond milk, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined and smooth. Add in the zucchini noodles and mix well to combine.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Once heated, spray with cooking spray and add in about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pancake mixture, depending on how many pancakes you want to make. Cook until set on the bottom, flip and cook the other side until pancakes cook through.
- Serve pancakes with maple syrup and walnuts.