Just because we’re in the middle of winter doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy some summer flavors.
Today, we’re making zucchini rice!
While zucchini can be riced, it’s crucial to pat it thoroughly dry or even squeeze the excess water out with your hands. Otherwise, the rice can become mushy.
Once your zucchini rice is ready, it’s ready to be used in a refreshing, tasty rice dish, like with this tabbouleh with chickpeas. This is a great side dish or a light lunch! It saves well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (afterwards, it gets too mushy.)
Try serving this with some blackened fish for a more filling meal, or stir in some shredded chicken.
On a totally separate note, Lu and I are planning a trip to Italy! We’re going to Lake Como, Tuscany and Capri. We’re so excited for the trip, but we’re having a tough time figuring out which area of Tuscany is the best to stay, so that you can easily travel throughout the countryside and visit wineries and all the sights.
So, for all of my readers who have been to Tuscany — do you have any recommendations? Places to stay? Towns to visit? Must-see wineries?
Thank you in advance!
If you still haven’t tried making spiralized rice, check out this video and learn how:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 5 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- 2 medium zucchinis, Blade D
- ½ cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup diced cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed from a can)
- toasted pita bread, to serve (optional)
- Place the zucchini noodles into a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Be careful not to over-pulse, as zucchini is moist and will become mushy. Pat dry thoroughly to absorb excess moisture and place in a large serving bowl and add in the parsley, mint, tomatoes and cucumber. Set aside.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the zucchini rice and then stir in the chickpeas. Serve with pita bread or as is.