While you certainly can cook shrimp on the grill, the stovetop, or the oven for this recipe, if you have an air fryer, you’ll want to follow along!
The air fryer gives the shrimp here that little touch of fry without any oil and cooks the shrimp quickly. First, you cook the bell peppers and onions in the air fryer, followed by the shrimp, and under 30 minutes, you have a filling, vegetable and protein packed meal.
Air Fryer Blackened Shrimp Fajita Bowls
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- salt and pepper
- 2 bell peppers seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2-3 microwavable rice pouches or 1-1 ¼ cups cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- to garnish: sour cream or I love Sir Kensington’s chile limecrema sauce it’s dairy free!
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the bell peppers, and the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and slightly browned on the edges. Transfer the peppers and onions to a bowl, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- While peppers and onions cook, whisk together 1 table spoon of the olive oil, the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and thyme. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.Once peppers and onions are done cooking, add in the shrimp and cook for 8minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, until shrimp is opaque.
- While shrimp cooks, assemble the bowls. Peel, pit, and cube the avocado. Quarter the lime. Heat the remaining oil in a medium skillet and once oil is shimmering, add the black beans and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cooking, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until beans and corn are warmed through.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Divide into bowls. Top with black bean mixture, cooked shrimp and veggies, avocado, salsa, and romaine lettuce. Drizzle with sour cream or crema.
- Serve with lime wedges.