Potato and Brussels Sprouts Soup with White Beans
If you’ve ever gone to make a creamy, dairy-free soup and you’ve stopped at “soak cashews overnight” or “stir in arrowroot power” or “add coconut milk” because it requires special ingredients you don’t have in the pantry or extra time, let me tell you this: no fancy ingredients or soaking methods required for this completely dairy-free, creamy soup!
By blending white beans, you create a thick consistency that’s wonderful in this potato and Brussels sprouts soup! And it’s a big protein and iron boost.
I love serving this soup with some Parmesan cheese just to add a salty, umami kick, but it’s not necessary and won’t throw off the flavor of the soup. This soup is effortlessly flavored with a few chosen dried herbs, a fragrant mirepoix, and the vegetables themselves.
Can you tell I’m obsessed with this soup? It saves well in the refrigerator, too! You may just need to add a splash of broth when you reheat it, because the sprouts and potatoes soak up the liquid and it may be a little chunky.
Hope you’re loving these easy soup ideas!
potato and brussels sprouts white bean
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 large celery rib diced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pound bag creamer potatoes halved
- 12 ounces shredded brussels sprouts
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes to garnish
- heat half the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook for 5minutes or until onions are translucent. add the cannellini beans, rosemary, thyme, and stir. add the broth, 2 cups water, and season generously with salt and pepper. bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. use an immersion blender to blend the soup. add the potatoes, bring back to a boil, and reduce heat to a medium-simmer and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- while potatoes cook, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper, and cook until sprouts are tender and browned. Set aside.
- once potatoes are done, add the sprouts to the soup, stir, and serve. top with cheese and red pepper flakes.