A gluten-free one pan casserole dish packed with veggies and cheesy flavor, using spiralized broccoli stems and florets, spiralized butternut squash, and fluffy quinoa for a healthy, filling one pan casserole.
Over the weekend, I got into full on fall season mode (which is ironic, because it was pretty warm this weekend.) We went apple picking with my brother and sister in law and their 3.5 year old daughter – and my grandmother!
It was just one of those feel good weekends when you’re just so grateful for family and your health.
The news has been a scary place lately and sometimes, when you spend too much time reading the news, watching the news and scrolling through Twitter, you get caught up in it and think that the world is a sad, negative place.
But it really isn’t- there is so much to look forward to, to celebrate, to love, and to enjoy. Like, spending the afternoon picking apples and on a hayride.
Last week, I made this casserole, because it was a little chilly and I was craving fall coziness. I had broccoli and butternut squash in the house and wanted to make something to have in the fridge over the weekend and this recipe was born.
I’ve been wanting to make a raw quinoa casserole and I finally did it. It’s so easy! You just add enough liquid for the quinoa to cook in the oven (quinoa cooks in a 2 to 1 ratio), cover it, and let it steam and cook.
This meal is so flavorful and if you want to add a meat-y protein for your meat lovers out there, cook some ground turkey and add in there before you melt the cheese on top!
Luca loved this (you can see how I served it to him here.) Anyway, expect more fall recipes, because I’m in the spirit!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Cheesy Broccoli, Butternut Squash and Quinoa Casserole
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- florets from 1 large head of broccoli + its stem spiralized with Blade D about 3 cups of florets
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place the butternut squash noodles and broccoli (florets and spiralized stems, if using) in the casserole dish and sprinkle evenly over with quinoa. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the chicken broth and milk over medium-high heat. Once heated, add half of the cheese and whisk until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and pour the cheese mixture evenly over the vegetables in the casserole dish and season with garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Stir together to combine.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from the oven, stir, and sprinkle over the remaining cheese and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.