Taco seasoned ground beef mixed with shredded cheddar cheese served over sweet potato noodles, kale, and avocado. This hearty, nutritious beef bowl is meal prep friendly and flavor packed!
Every once in a while, when I’m out at an Italian spot known for their meatballs, I’ll order the meatballs. I don’t think twice about it (eating beef.) Outside of that, I don’t eat beef. There are many reasons why I choose to only occasionally eat beef, but there are no foods on the never list, because I live a life free of restrictions like that.
Of course, there are foods that I’ll never keep in my household, but that doesn’t mean that I won’t enjoy them outside the home. For me, my home is a place that inspires me to be happy and healthy. Thus, I only stock my pantry and fridge with foods that make me feel my best, since I’m home the most!
However, since I’ve started cooking all of Luca’s meals, I’ve been trying to give him a variety of foods and expose him to all types of foods and flavors. Lately, I’ve been finding ways to give him more meats, since it doesn’t come naturally in my personal meal prep each week.
I wanted to “test” beef out on him – would he like it? I can usually tell within the first 3 seconds if he’s going to like the food. And the verdict is out – he loved it!
The ground beef is seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning (in the recipe!), some broth, and of course, some shredded cheese. This gives the bowl a sauce-like consistency. Every bite is full of flavor, texture, and nutrients!
If you’re like me and don’t eat much beef, try these bowls with ground turkey! They’re kid and adult friendly!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Cheesy Taco Beef and Kale Bowls with Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped curly kale
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1/2 diced green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup broth beef or chicken
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
- optional to garnish: sliced scallions
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the sweet potato noodles and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until wilted and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Set aside into a plate or bowl and cover to keep warm.
- To the same skillet used to cook the sweet potato, add in the kale, season with salt and pepper, and let cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Set aside into a plate or bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining olive oil into the same skillet and add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat.
- Push the veggies to the side of the skillet and add in the beef. Break up with a wooden spoon and crumble the beef. Season with cayenne, chili powder, paprika, oregano, onion powder, cumin, and season with salt. Cook for 7 minutes or until beef is cooked through. Once the beef is cooked through, combine with the vegetable mixture. Add the broth and let cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken. Stir in the cheese and remove from heat.
- Divide the sweet potato noodles, kale, and beef into bowls. Top with avocado and garnish with scallions, if using.