I definitely haven’t posted up enough soup recipes. I’ve been so distracted by so many exciting things (it’s really killing me not to blab it all out).
So here we are, with a soup. But not just any soup. A soup with carrot noodles! Why carrot noodles? Because I was craving a comforting bowl of mom’s chicken soup, but didn’t have the time to chop a million vegetables and let chicken bones simmer for hours. What’s a girl to do? Spiralize!
This soup has the same great flavors of the classic chicken noodle, except without the gluten and higher calorie count. Replacing the pasta noodles with carrot noodles, we reinvent the carrot part of the recipe. Instead of a boring cubed carrot, we get noodles – which have a much better texture, consistency and of course, add a bit of excitement.
This is also a great recipe for leftovers. Just pop in a microwave or back over the stovetop and enjoy for lunch the next day. Just be prepared for your coworkers to want some.
The carrots boil in the soup and honestly take on a life of their own. I am going to be posting up many more boiled carrot noodle recipes, because they’re just that fantastic.
Sop this up with a hearty crusty warmed piece of whole grain bread and – well, I’m sure I’ll be receiving love notes.
You’ll have to go here for the recipe – on Best Friends For Frosting.
What do you think about spiralized noodles in soups? Yay or nay?
CHICKEN CARROT NOODLE SOUP
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 tsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, peeled, Blade A (at least 1.5” in diameter)
- 1.5 – 2 cups of shredded chicken
1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat and pour in olive oil. Once oil heats, add in garlic, celery and onions. Season with salt and pepper and stir to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until onions look translucent and vegetables begin to soften.
2. Add in chicken broth, thyme, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let cook for 5-7 minutes and then add in the chicken and carrot noodles. Cook the noodles for about 5 minutes or until they soften.
3. Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!