Most importantly, happy 28th birthday to my little sister (she’ll always be little to me!), Felicia! You ended 27 with marrying the love of your life, I don’t know how you’re going to beat that, but you will!
And since my sister started eating chicken last year, I figured I’d share a chicken recipe that she might want to try! AKA, I’ll make it for her the next time she comes over for dinner!
My sister became a pescatarian a few years ago after a doctor told her that she had high cholesterol levels (which I can’t believe, I still think it was a mistake to this day!) and last year, she started building chicken back into her diet.
Her husband, Ben, was very excited, because he’s a big meat eater and loves to cook, so he was happy he could incorporate this new protein into their dinners!
Anyway, if you love chimichurri, you’re going to love this meal – dark meat chicken thighs and chimichurri is a delicious combination. And the spiralized potatoes are spiced lightly to bring out the spicy hints in the chimichurri.
Note that the chimichurri makes enough for 6, maybe 8 servings, so the nutritional information reflects only 4 servings. When you make the recipe, you’ll have leftover chimichurri – just save it for another meal, it literally goes on everything – just like a pesto!
And if you want something a bit lower in carbs, parsnips would work well with this chimichurri!
On a personal note, Lu comes to Florida tomorrow, and I couldn’t be more excited – it feels like Christmas Eve! It’s been about 10 days since we last saw each other, and I know Luca can’t wait to see his Daddy!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Chimichurri Chicken Thighs with Spiced Spiralized Potatoes
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- optional to serve: salad
- For the chimichurri:
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 seeded and chopped serrano chile or jalapeño
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the seasoned chicken and cook for 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- While chicken cooks, spiralize the potatoes on Blade D and trim them with clean kitchen shears. Set aside. Also, prepare the chimichurri. Place all of the ingredients into a mini chop food processor and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust, if necessary.
- Immediately add in the potato noodles and season with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss well to combine and cook for 7 minutes or until potato noodles are cooked through (cover the pan if the noodles start to stick to the bottom.)
- Serve two chicken thighs with potato noodles and drizzle with chimichurri over. Serve with salad, if desired.