Sweet potatoes have been getting all the spotlight lately. Sure, they’re orange and festive. Sure, they’re sweet.
But what about the other potatoes?
While I’m a bigger fan of the sweet potato, this chunky lentil bolognese over potato noodles might have converted me. And it’s not just because your kitchen will smell like French fries as you cook the noodles…. or, is it?
The cute Petite French Green lentils from Bob’s Red Mill really make this dish. The lightness of the lentils paired with the chunkiness of the vegetables in the bolognese creates the perfect texture boom.
Yukon Golds (compared to sweet potatoes) are:
….easier to cook in the skillet. These types of potatoes aren’t as tough, once spiralized. The noodles are softer, because they have a higher moisture content. Actually, water visibly leaks out as you spiralize it!
….easily seasoned. Due to the higher water content in these types of potatoes, they absorb salt seasonings better. Therefore, when you salt and pepper to season, the potato noodles cook with that extra kick.
Since these potatoes don’t have that sweet flavor that their orange counterparts do, they don’t add additional sweetness to sauces, so pair these noodles with a sweeter sauce, like a sweet basil, creamy tomato or butternut squash.
Back to the lentils. Petite French Green lentils are a fantastic protein source for vegetarians and vegans. Plus, they have virtually NO fat, they lower cholesterol, and keep you full with their high fiber content. They’re easy to prepare too: you just need to know how to boil water!
Chunky Lentil Potato Noodle Bolognese + Bob’s Red Mill Giveaway
- 1/2 cup dry Petite French Green Lentils from Bob's Red Mill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, Blade C
- Boil 1 1/4 cups of water with 1/2 cup of lentils. Once brought to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until lentils are cooked and have softened, but do not break apart. Set aside.
- While the water is boiling, place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add in the olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds and then add in the celery, red onion and diced carrot. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and crush most with the back of a fork or a potato masher. Season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
- Reduce sauce for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has absorbed.
- While sauce is reducing, place another large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add in the potato noodles, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, for 5 minutes or until noodles wilt and are cooked through. When done, set aside in two bowls.
- Once sauce is finished, fold in cooked lentils and stir to combine. Top each bowl of potato noodles with equal parts of the bolognese sauce. Enjoy!