Full disclosure: I had to go out of my comfort zone for this recipe. Luckily, it was totally worth it- I slurped up two bowls of this immediately after finishing snapping some glamour shots.
It’s easier for me to develop recipes based off of Italian classics or American favorites, because that’s my jam. My palate is familiar with those smells, tastes and sights. It’s tougher for me to do recipes like curries, because I have little experience with those types of dishes.
But you know what? I said “There’s no better time than the present!” and I researched a bit about curries and built my own lip-smackin’ good recipe for this vegetarian-friendly red coconut curry, using sweet potato noodles.
In retrospect, I feel so silly – this was easier to throw together than most recipes I’ve ever made! You just cook up some veggies with red curry paste and then drop in the coconut milk, simmer and voila – a luxuriously smooth curry with a beautiful coconut fragrance.
Plus, the sweet potato noodles are the perfect noodle consistency for a curry and they absorb the creaminess of the curry very well. The soft, silky feels in this bowl of noodles compliments the crunchiness of the veggies fantastically. I wish I had a Thesaurus for food descriptors, because I just can’t list enough: delicious, yummy, delightful, exquisite, full-flavored and mouth-watering.
I’ll have to add a Food Writing book to my Amazon Prime account.
Life lesson of today’s post: don’t be afraid of the unknown- embrace it with excitement, not fear! I’m so happy I stopped avoiding making a curry and took the plunge – there are such simple ingredients, yet massive flavor benefits!
To get the recipe, you’ll have to head over to the Williams Sonoma blog, where I’m a featured blogger! Read a Q&A on me also, where I answer questions about how I started spiralizing, my favorite things to spiralize and how spiralizing has changed my life!
Who loves curry? What’s your favorite curry?
Creamy Vegetable Thai Red Coconut Curry with Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp peeled & minced ginger
- 2-3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 handful of snow peas
- 1 can coconut milk about 14 oz
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth*
- 3 sweet potatoes 300g, peeled, spiralized using Blade C
- 1.5 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add in the coconut oil. Once oil heats, add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Then, add in the curry paste, stir to combine and add in the vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, add in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Once the broth boils, add in the sweet potato noodles. Cover, bring down to a simmer and let cook for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potato noodles are cooked to your consistency preference. When done, add in the cilantro, stir and then ladle into bowls to serve immediately.