- Have you been asked by your boyfriend to cook something for his fantasy draft party?
- Are you dreading football season game days full of unhealthy food, including meaty chilis, fried hot wings, and cheesy dips?
- Are you secretly working on that six-pack underneath your football jersey?
- Do you want to win some points with the ladies at your Sunday night football party?
Hey guys & girls:
- Do you like pizza? Pepperoni?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, continue reading….
To me, football season is the best sport season there is! All of the bars are crowded with handsome, testosterone-filled men acting like little boys, jumping up and down when their team wins and sulking when their team throws a pick-six. How adorable!
I really do enjoy the camaraderie in general and how it brings everyone together on Sunday and Monday nights. For me, more than anything, it’s always the food that lures me in. How can you not love a sport that revolves around a solid “spread”? Chilis, dips, chips & guac… oh the guac! If you Google “Superbowl party” your search results will yield countless recipes. Actually, I’m dreaming of helmet toothpicks and football napkins already…
HOWEVER, most of these recipes for football gatherings are packed with unhealthy fats and loads of carbs and calories. Since everyone loves pizza, I decided to make a pizza spaghetti using zucchini noodles, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese. Men can’t refuse pizza, so I don’t want to hear any excuses, boys!
If you’re hosting a party, make a big batch of this and place it in large aluminum baking dishes and serve with spoons, plates, and crusty whole grain bread. You’ll want to dip into this sauce – the gooeiness of the melted mozzarella and the oregano & basil flavors in the seasoned tomato sauce are enough to leave your guests asking for the recipe.
Secretly, I hope my boyfriend invites some friends over for a game this season so that I can make them all this pepperoni pizza zucchini spaghetti…. Lu, are you reading?
Football Season & Pepperoni Pizza Zucchini Spaghetti
- For the pasta:
- 1.5 zucchinis Blade C
- 1/3 cup chunkily-chopped mozzarella
- 10 pepperoni slices
- 1-2 slices of crusty whole grain bread optional, for dipping
- For the pizza sauce:
- 1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or less, if you don't like spice
- 1 tsp dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried basil flakes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add in the olive oil.
- Once the oil heats, add in the garlic. Cook garlic for 1 minute and add in the red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 seconds and then add in the chopped onion. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, season generously with salt and pepper and add in the oregano and basil flakes. Stir to combine.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the sauce fully reduces.
- Once the sauce reduces, add in the zucchini pasta and pepperoni. Cook for about 2 minutes or until zucchini begins to soften and is heated through.
- Add in the mozzarella cheese, cook for another 30 seconds, and then pour into a bowl and enjoy!