These easy eggplant fries are gluten-free and slightly crispy, perfect for your little ones to grasp and flavorful thanks to the almond flour breading and dried herbs.
These eggplant fries were a hit with Luca! He loved them and it made me so happy, because they’re so easy to whip up, they include key allergens (nuts and egg) and they save well.
I love serving these with a ‘dip’ (which is great for feeding and occupational development!) like hummus or a marinara sauce. Even a tahini would be great!
The breading is simple – egg wash, dip in almond flour seasoned with dried herbs, and then put the eggplant sticks in a skillet with olive oil and cook them until the eggplant is fork tender and the sticks are browned!
Easy as that! I love serving these Italian style, so with a pasta and another veggie with some melted cheese for extra fats!
How would you serve these?
Oven Baked Eggplant Fries
- 1 large Italian eggplant sliced into 1/2" x 2" sticks (yields about 20-24)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or a mixture of oregano, garlic powder, basil, and parsley
- olive oil
- Dredge the eggplant sticks in the egg and then roll in the almond flour. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add as many eggplant sticks as you can and let cook for 1 minute per side until fork tender (about 4-5 minutes in total.)
- Repeat with more olive oil until all eggplant sticks are cooked.
- Serve with favorite dip!