Time to channel our inner vegans and vegetarians and talk meatless! Yesterday, I was honored to be part of Hoboken Girl‘s first “Hoboken Girl Social.” I’ll do a separate post with pictures on that, but in a nutshell – it was an event designed to bring a bunch of cool girls living in Hoboken together for a night of wine, hors d’oeuvres, giveaways and a makeup tutorial by Dina’s Cosmetics and cooking demo by yours truly! During my demo, I gave away samples (in cute little clamshaw boxes that I DIYd with sticker ingredient labels) of a pesto zucchini pasta salad. I’m a crafty lady, let me tell you.
Since I was making over 25 samples, I did this recipe in a big ugly tupperware box, so please excuse the picture quality. This is a great go-to recipe to make on a Sunday night while you’re watching True Blood (oh – is that just me?). Just make a big batch, put it in the refrigerator, and eat it for lunch a couple days during the week! The pesto is veeeegan (I know, I’m a horrible Italian!) so it’s Parmesan-Reggiano-less and therefore lower in cals and fat grams!
Meatless Mondays: Pesto Zucchini Pasta Salad with Green Beans and Potatoes
- For the pesto
- 1.5 cup basil leaves packed
- 1/3 cup of pinenuts
- 1/4 cup of olive oil if you like it thicker, less olive oil
- 5 cranks of the sea salt grinder
- 5 cranks of the peppercorn grinder
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- For the rest
- 2 zucchinis Blade C
- 15-20 green beans ends trimmed off
- 2-3 large red potatoes
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, covered in water. Boil potatoes for 20 minutes (depending on the size of your potato) or until easily pierced with a fork. When done, pour into a colander to drain. Let the potatoes cool for about 5 minutes and then quarter each potato. When done, place in the refrigerator.
- Pour enough water to cover the green beans in the same saucepan and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, add in the green beans and cook for about 5 minutes or until beans are easily pierced with a fork. When done, pour into a colander to drain and then place in the refrigerator.
- Put all ingredients for the pesto into a food processor and pulse until creamy. Place in the refrigerator.
- Let everything chill for about 4-5 hours (or simply overnight) and then mix green beans, potatoes, zucchini pasta and pesto together. OR mix everything together immediately and enjoy!