Yes, this is real. You’re looking at a monstrous, healthy frittata.
What’s inside? Simple ingredients: zucchini noodles, bacon, mushrooms, kale and 6 eggs. That’s it… oh, and a smidge of garlic powder and some pepper to taste.
No, it’s not Christmas morning. Sure does feel like it though, right?
I made this for Juli over at PaleOMG yesterday. Juli’s an amazing blogger/woman/Paleo enthusiast. Even though she’s writing a cookbook right now (how exciting!), she still manages to keep her blog and Instagram stacked with deliciousness.
I’m so happy she gave me my second opportunity to guest post on her site. The first time, I posted up a salmon BLT, featuring the Inspiralized Bun. Honestly, this girl makes me want to go Paleo. She’s awesome!
Anywho. You’re going to want to make this frittata on Christmas morning… or for brunch the next day. Or for dinner, any day of the week.. or year. It’s just that good.
The ingredients are so easy yet pack flavors so good, you’ll be licking your lips all day. Look:
Plus, it’s easy to prepare. Just cook your veggies, top with eggs and bake in the oven:
From my post over at PaleOMG:
This zucchini noodle frittata is packed with heart-healthy veggies like kale and mushrooms, while having that classic robust bacon flavor baked into it. The zucchini noodles offer additional fiber to keep you full and the cheeseless pesto is that proverbial “cherry on top.”
Can you see the zucchini noodles in the bottom? They had such a fantastic texture to an otherwise simple breakfast food.
If that didn’t sell you enough, the vegan pesto (an adaptation from my grandfather’s recipe!) truly makes it sinfully yummy.
Enough said. Tuesday’s Christmas Eve – fill up on this so you stay energized while spending time with your loved ones on Christmas day!
You can find this post on Pinterest, here:
Follow Ali Maffucci’s board Spiralized Breakfasts on Pinterest.
Pesto Bacon Zucchini Spaghetti Frittata with Mushrooms and Kale
- For the pesto:
- 1.5 packed cups of basil leaves
- 1.5 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp ground salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- For the frittata:
- 5 pieces of bacon
- 1.5 cups chopped kale
- 2 small zucchinis spiralized (Blade C)
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 6 eggs beaten
- cracked pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until medium-crispy. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate, leaving 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes and then add in the kale, zucchini noodles and garlic powder. Cook until the kale wilts mostly.
- Pour the eggs over the noodles, distributing evenly. Top with a generous amount of pepper and let cook for 2 minutes, letting the eggs cook to set on the bottom.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until you can stick a knife through the center of the frittata and it comes out clean.
- While the frittata is baking, prepare you pesto sauce: place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- When the frittata is done, serve immediately with side of basil pesto. Enjoy!