It’s pomegranate season – time when pomegranates pop up everywhere from restaurant mimosas to infused dressings. Pomegranates have a slightly sweet flavor that elevate any drink or meal, like this simple salad.
When you spiralize a vegetable, it’s easiest if the vegetable is raw, because then you can cook the vegetable to your liking and, it’s hard to precook a vegetable to the perfect consistency for spiralizing.
That’s why I love pre-cooked beets, like Love Beets (this post is not sponsored by them, by the way – I’m just a huge fan!) Beets can be time consuming and messy to roast, which is why, as a busy mom, I appreciate pre-cooked beets.
I use these beets in muffins, in smoothies, in vegetable gratins, in hummus, and here, in salads. Beets have a slightly sweet, earthy taste when roasted, so they pair well with a slightly sweet dressing and a savory protein, like this rotisserie chicken.
Walnuts and avocado provide a healthy fat, chicken a lean protein, and the greens and beets are heart-healthy veggies! This salad took no more than 15 minutes to whip up, and if you don’t eat chicken, you can always sub in your favorite vegetarian-friendly protein, perhaps some hard boiled eggs, lentils, or just some lightly chopped edamame.
And if you can’t find pre-cooked beets, you can either roast them yourself and spiralize them OR you can just spiralize them raw, they’ll just have a nice big crunch!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
- 2 medium pre-cooked red beets I love @lovebeets
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups spring mix or other greens
- 3 cups sliced rotisserie chicken
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and flesh cubed
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- ½ cup walnut pieces chopped
- Slice the beet halfway through, careful not to pierce the center. Spiralize on Blade A to make chip slices. Set aside.
- In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the greens and toss well to coat.
- Divide the salad into bowls and top with beet slices, chicken, avocado, pomegranates, and walnuts.