Spicy Ginger Scallion & Egg Drop Zucchini Noodle Soup
This soup combines two great Asian soups into one: egg drop soup and the ginger scallion noodle bowl. Egg drop soup is a Chinese soup made with wispy eggs in a simmering chicken broth (I’ve used vegetable broth here to make a vegetarian version.) Ginger scallion noodle bowl is a spicy noodle soup that’s packed with crunchy scallions and lots of ginger, for an immunity boosting meal that’s full of umami flavor. I’ve combined the two for a super flavorful noodle bowl, using spiralized zucchini!
Both of these soups are great for cold temperatures, when you want something to warm you up and fight off a cold. So curl up with a good book and sip on this soup! It’s made in one pot for easy cleanup and comes together quickly after some simple preparation.
If you want to use other spiralized vegetables, try kohlrabi, turnip, daikon radish, or carrot. All of those veggie noodles will work well here too, so you can eat seasonally and still enjoy this noodle soup.
If you’re not a vegetarian, swap in the vegetable broth for chicken broth for more robust flavor – and try adding some shredded chicken for extra protein. The zucchini noodles absorb the flavor of the broth and make this dish extra delicious.
This recipe is also Whole30 friendly if you substitute gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce, and it is keto friendly, Paleo, and vegetarian.
How to meal prep this soup
- If you’d like to meal prep this soup, I suggest preparing just the broth ahead of time. When it’s time to heat and eat, bring the soup to a simmer, whisk in the eggs, and then add the zucchini noodles and scallions and let cook for 3 more minutes to soften the noodles.
Watch a video of this recipe and subscribe to our YouTube channel for our other cooking videos:
Spicy Ginger Scallion & Egg Drop Zucchini Noodle Bowl
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes depends on how spicy you like it
- 1.5 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 1 medium zucchini Blade D, noodles trimmed
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the white parts of the scallions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and ginger and cook for 3 minutes or until scallions begin to soften.
- Add the sherry vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once broth boils, reduce to medium and slowly pour in the egg while stirring the broth to create egg wisps.
- Add in the zucchini noodles, remaining green parts of the scallions and let cook for 2-3 minutes more until zucchini softens to al dente. Divide the soup into two bowls, season with black pepper and serve.